Monday, November 25, 2013

TIDBITS

I was going through some old papers and came across two torn pages out of my old autograph book. Maybe some of you remember those little books we kept when we were around ten years old. I think it was a girl thing! It was fun getting friends and family to sign and write a little something in them. I know that Leland signed a page but I don't remember exactly what he wrote but at least he signed it.  The two pages that I came across were from my paternal Grandparents. Grandma wrote and I quote "When you are washing and at the tub. Remember me at every rub. Let the sud be ever so hot. Lather away and forget me not". It was signed Grandma and dated 6/11/49. The following is what my Grandfather wrote in his beautiful handwriting: "I would flood your path with sunshine, I would fence you from all ill. I would crown you with all blessings, If I could but have my will. It was signed, Grandpa (OGYGIAN) and dated June 12th, 1949. My Sister was born June 10th, 1949 so Grandpa and Grandma were baby sitting for me. Grandpa gave me my first watch (which I still have) and a first edition of Lord Tennyson's poems. He also comforted me when I got my first bee sting. Grandma was worn out from raising five children and at that point in her life was suffering from arthritis. She could no longer tat her lace doillies. I also came across some of the cards I received from the children on Mothers' Day, birthdays etc. They made me very sentimental.

When I was a little girl I never dreamed that I would travel the world. That I would walk on the Great Wall of China, go to Xian to see the terracotta warriors, The manger where baby Jesus was born in Bethelhem, the mountain top church in Turkey where Mary spent her final days, visit the Eiffel Tower in Paris etc. My dreams were not that sophisticated. The furthest south we traveled as a family was Washington, D.C. and the furthest west was to Pennsylvania. But I was content with that! Mom and Dad did what they could to broaden our horizons with their limited resources when Carole-Anne and I were children. New York City was the go to environment to broaden our knowledge by going to museums, plays etc. No complaints!

i keep a memory box filled with special notes from special people. It is filled to the gunnels. I also have kept each and every card from friends and family wishing me well. Thank you again folks for your thoughts and prayers.

I keep thinking that I should go through some of my stuff. Start clearing out! My mother did that. When I was visiting she and I went through her box of cards  that she kept through the years. Most were from my Dad, others from my Sister and I, friends and family. It was so very nostalgic and I am sure sad for her but, she discarded them. I know she did this to save my Sister and I from this sentimental task. Letting go is difficult but a necessary part of life. I just have a reluctance to parting with things. And, frankly, it's not time yet!!

I finally finished Elizabeth George's book "JUST ONE EVIL ACT" and  although it was quite a lengthy novel I did enjoy it.

Let's bring FONDUE back!

14 oz appenzeller cheese
14 oz gruyere cheese
14 oz imported swiss cheese

Rub fondue pot with garlic. Mix together 2 cups white wine, 1/2 cup kirsch and 1 1/2 tablespoon corn starch. Put cheese and mixture in fondue pot. Serve with cubed bread. This is a really terrific recipe and quite hardy.

I am off to play bridge. Have a lovely day and a very Happy Thanksgiving, Love, Arlene






















No comments:

Post a Comment