Thursday, November 21, 2013

HOLIDAY MOOD

Having some of the family coming for Christmas has put me in the holiday mood. I rearranged some furniture last night to make space for that huge artificial tree I ordered on line a couple of years ago. It was one of those compulsive purchases. I will miss the scent of a live tree. I am being really good and recycling Christmas decorations and not buying anything new.

Laura will be here sitting on her Dad's lap while he reads the "THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS" on Christmas Eve.  I am sure I will get sentimental. No doubt about it!  The tree will be lit and the various candles aglow. Joe, Bud and Jennifer will share this lovely evening and Greg will join us for Christmas brunch on Christmas Day. Leland and I will have the tree all decorated well before the big day.

Leland and I exchange cards and have been for a few years now. We are very selective in the greeting. We really don't need anything individually and this is so much simpler. We concentrate on just being together.

Happy Hanukkah starting on November 27th to many of our friends. We hope you have a lovely holiday. Especially to Ari and Liv our particular favorites!

Sometimes I get a little nostalgic for the Christmas's of my childhood because as previously stated my Parents' made everything so special. But, this is the here and now and it is our turn to make it special for our children. Amazingly, they all go all out and decorate to the hilt. And they all write Christmas letters of their own now - a family tradition.

I just realized that by bringing in evergreen boughs and covering the mantle etc. I will have the real smell of Christmas. Bravo!!

Needless to say 2013 has brought its challenges but  along with the challenges have come the realization that we have so much to be thankful for: our many supportive friends, family and the miracles of modern day medicine. I hope and pray that in the years to come many medical advances will be made and cures will be discovered. Time marches on and thankfully I am marching along with it.

Thanksgiving is a marvelous time to give thanks for all our blessings. Happy Thanksgiving to all of you. I count each and everyone of you among my blessings.

NOTE: On the Peach Surprise desert recipe I have been having trouble locating butter almond cake mix and am beginning to wonder if they have discontinued it. So, I bought Duncan Hines Butter Golden cake mix. I will sprinkle almond extract over the peaches and then follow the rest of the recipe.

"COMING HOME" and SHELLSEEKERS by ROSAMUNDE PILCHER are both marvelous novels.

CHICKEN LASAGNA given to me by my sweet and special  friend, Carol Light

8 oz. oven ready lasagna
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream  of chicken  soup
1 cup sour cream (lite)
1/2- 3/4 cup sliced black olives (optional)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
3 cups cooked chicken, cubed
2 cups grated cheddar cheese

Mix all ingredients except cheese and lasagna. Layer chicken mixture, then noodles, the cheese, 3 times ending with cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes.

Note: If you double the recipe, double the chicken (I use lots) but cut down on the soups (becomes too soupy).

Have a lovely day. Judy, Carol and I will be attending another healing service today. That and writing this blog is a great way  to start my day. A little shopping at TJ Maxx and then a Starbucks, then dinner with friends is a great finish!

No comments:

Post a Comment