Saturday, November 23, 2013

HOBBIES

I'm looking around the kitchen and it is a mess!  Because I don't get out as often now I over bought on groceries for the Christmas holiday and I don't have space for half of the stuff in the pantry. You would think I was expecting the Chinese Army with all the food I bought. I bought a lot of staples for baking (I should have checked the pantry first) because I envision baking all these goodies. I certainly hope that I follow through on that idea and most importantly that I personally do not end up eating most of it!!

We didn't get the tree up yet  but I did scatter around some decorations. I did not go overboard as my intention is, that the tree be the most prominent Christmas item on display. For the most part I have conceived the menus. The fun part was the search for the perfect recipes. I do have over one thousand cookbooks and many handwritten journals that I wrote. I have this fascination with food. Have I mentioned that before!!??

When we lived in Brookfield, Conn. across from Lake Candlewood in a charming small home with a fieldstone fireplace, pine cupboards in the kitchen and a lovely deck (it took years for Laura to forgive us for selling that house - she loved it!) we entertained quite frequently.  Leland flew out of JFK Airport and every time we accompanied Leland we would come home and I would plan a themed dinner party. I had an Italian theme, German, Swiss (skipped a Norwegian theme), English etc and decorated the table accordingly. The wine and food fit the menu of the various countries.  What fun! I wouldn't have the energy to do that these days. I find that a lot of us ladies  in this community enjoy NOT having to cook and so we have formed little dining out groups.

Hobbies change according to age, location etc. When we first moved to Georgia in 1992 we moved to Parsons Run, a swimming/tennis community. We also chose this community because it had an excellent school system. Laura became an avid tennis player as did I. We spent twelve wonderful years there until we moved on Lake Lanier when Laura went off to college. Boating, again became our hobby of choice. We spent six years there and then Greg introduced us to "The Orchards". They were a client of his at that time and he suggested we look here. The BEST decision!  So, here we are with our new hobbies and new friends. Leland plays poker twice a week, goes to lunch with the "chow pals" and does skeet shooting.  There is bridge for me, luncheons and teas. Now I am thinking of joining the knitting club!

We have never been unhappy with any of our environments, Gainesville (Laura was born there on January 17, 1984} and Key Largo, Florida and so forth. We have, at most of the locations made lasting friendships and discovered new things to do. It's been great!! And, here there are always new activities being added to the monthly calendar. Retirement has been treating us well.

My next go to novel is going to be WHITE FIRE by Preston & Child.  I recommend their previous Pendergast novels.

I am so sorry people are having difficulty leaving comments  on this blog as I would so like to know your take on this.  If you would like to leave a comment regarding the blog on caringbridge please do.

NEW ORLEAN PRALINES, GREAT GIFT IN A HOLIDAY TIN

2 cups sugar
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups pecan halves
1 tablespoon butter
2 teaspoons vanilla

In a large saucepan, bring sugar and buttermilk  to a boil. Add soda slowly (otherwise the mixture tends to boil over), and cook until a soft ball forms in a cup of cool water.  (time to come to the soft ball stage varies; after about 7 minutes of stirring, drop about a teaspoon of mixture in water and rub it between fingers; when ball is about to form, difference is evident. This step is crucial. When soft ball stage is reached remove pan from heat and add pecans, butter and vanilla. Beat candy with a large spoon until it is thick enough to drop by spoonfuls onto waxed paper (mixture will look less glossy when it is ready to spoon. Yield: Approximately 2 dozen 2 1/2 inch pralines.

Write to y'all later! Love, Arlene










t
 t

2 comments:

  1. Hello Mama,
    I am so enjoying this quiet evening with Joe reading your latest posts. I didn't know you had so many themed dinner parties...must be where I get it from! I have a whole plastic bin labeled "Asian themed entertaining." Keep writing! I love you and tell Dad I am watching the Georgia game:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you remember the Candlewood Lake house? I never did an Asian themed party. So happy you are enjoying the blog. Love to you and Joe, Mama

    ReplyDelete