Friday, November 22, 2013

ERASERS AND MORE

When I was a young child my Mother and I would go to the five and dime stores such as Kresge and Woolworths in Mount Vernon, New York.  Mt. Vernon was a bedroom community outside of the city. After browsing for a good deal of time in either of the two stores we would have lunch at their respective lunch counters. What a treat! To this day I remember the delicious toffee lollypops at Kresge's.  I must digress here and mention Howard Johnsons' lunch counters. Their fried clams in a buttered grilled hotdog bun and their bread pudding with vanilla sauce was a feast to all. {There is no mystery here, I am a food junkie! ) Going there was a family affair. Anyway, back to Kresge. Mom and I were perusing all the goodies from cosmetics, trinkets, inexpensive perfumes etc. I went to the back to school section and my eyes focused in on this pretty pink eraser. Suddenly a demon entered my body and I took it. Strangely I felt just a tiny bit of remorse. Well Mom and I made our way back home by bus and by walking.  No surprise here, Mom found the eraser and questioned why I had it in my possession. I confessed! Back we went by foot and by bus. I returned the eraser to the manager and with tears in my eyes I made the formal declaration that I took it! I must have looked and sounded pathetic! He responded that it was "the honorable thing to do" and I "wouldn't go to jail this time". Thinking back on the scene now I believe that my Mother and the manager probably had all they could do to keep from laughing out loud.  The journey back home for me was a long and quiet one. But, needless to say, lesson learned. I bet my Mom and Dad found the whole sordid affair deliciously funny but they also knew, it wouldn't happen again.

When I was in high school I used to swim at the local Y. The teacher, Mrs. Moon decided that I might be a candidate for further training and took me to the Y in New York City. We were met there by Johnny Weismuller, an olympic swimmer. He also played Tarzan. At that time I was rather oblivious to his stature. The first thing he had me do, was walk. So, walk around the pool I did. Later he watched me swim. Mrs. Moon and he had a consultation and then she and I went to Grand Central Station and went home. Days later Mom and Dad asked me if I would like to be coached by Mr. Weismuller. The problem was that everyday after school I would have to get on the train and go into New York City. I also thought about the other fun extra activities I was involved with: Eastern Star, Junior League, church etc. As a family we decided that it was a commitment that we didn't want to take on. I have no regrets but it gives me a tale to tell and I was flattered!

Writing this blog evokes memories that otherwise would have remained in the past. I urge you to give your families a glimpse into your past. The younger you!

ANYTHING BY AYN RAND IS A GOOD READ

CRANAPPLE CRISP

3 cups of unpeeled apples, diced
2 cups raw cranberries
1 to 1 1/4 cup white sugar
1 1/2 cups quick oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/3 cup pecans, chopped
1/2 cup melted butter

Mix cranberries and sugar. Place apples in 9 x 13 inch casserole. Pour cranberry mixture over apples. Combine oats, brown sugar, flour, pecans and butter. Spread over cranberry-apple mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for one hour. If desired make 1 1/2 to 2 times the topping.

Have a great weekend! Love, Arlene

1 comment:

  1. I make this all the time. Everyone loves the cranapple bake (as we call it).

    ReplyDelete