Friday, November 15, 2013

GOING BACK

Yesterday three of us, Carol, Judy and I attended a healing service at Carol's Episcopalian Church. Carol recently lost her wonderful husband, C.J. of almost fifty five years. C. J. helped plan a memorial garden at the church and it should be completed soon. His ashes will be spread in this garden. The garden is being made possible by generous donations.  Carol, understandably is coping with grief and finds the healing service helpful. She invited Judy and I to attend.  I am so thankful for the experience and I will attend further services. The Priest was wonderful and understanding. I liked it when he told me that if I would ever like to talk with him ("or not") he was available.

I am a lapsed church goer but nevertheless a believer. I attended The Church of the Ascension in Mt. Vernon, New York for many years. I sang (mouthed - you really don't want to hear me sing) in the church choir, attended youth meetings and socialized with friends. My Mom was an active participant. Dad chauffeured us or we took a bus. It was a beautiful stone church that took up an entire corner. At twenty-one I was married to my first husband there and attended a service twenty-two years later when my Parents' renewed their vows just before my Dad passed away. I have very fond memories of that church and to this day I maintain friends from there. In fact, Waldine and Peter Peckham, met there and have been married over fifty years. I attended their wedding there. I probably didn't pay attention to the sermons, day dreaming the time away but I loved that church and never minded going every Sunday.

Priest Keith Oglesdy, whom I met yesterday, left a very lucrative career to follow his dream of becoming a Priest.  I can see why he is so good at what he does. He truly loves helping people. Carol told me that when C.J. was at home with hospice in attendance he visited every day and sometimes twice a day. He gave solace to C.J., Carol and their family. Yesterday at the healing service I found some peace of mind. And, I got a backward glimpse into my youth and all that transpired in regards to church. To this day I can remember the inside of The Church of the Ascension as if it were yesterday.

Today, Ari is getting a feeding tube. This little Lion is such a special child. Everyone who meets him, falls in love with him. He is a true warrior and as always, he is in our prayers.

A dear friend of mine asked if I could mention some diet recipes. Well, when I want to eat healthy I eat salmon/chicken with steamed vegetables. The recipes I include are quite old but I think timeless and of course, fattening! I have fun researching through my hand written journals etc. for what I think you might enjoy and are fairly easy to prepare. For example:

PEACH SURPRISE

One large can sliced Delmonte peaches
One box butter almond cake mix (I could not locate this mix but did get butter pecan by Betty Crocker}
One stick real butter
One large package of chopped pecans
In a 9 X 11 baking dish, empty the can of peaches with juice. On top of this, sprinkle cake mix, getting out any dry lumps. DO NOT MIX. On top of cake mix, place butter pats to cover. Sprinkle with pecans. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 min - check to see if all the cake mix is moist with butter. Add butter to any dry area and let bake until browned. Serve with vanilla ice cream. You can make several hours ahead but not the day before.

PINEAPPLE SPREAD

One (8 ounce) package cream cheese
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup walnuts finely chopped
One can (15 ounce) crushed pineapple
Blend together and chill. Serve with your favorite crackers


The weekend is here again and so quickly. Have a delightful weekend. I intend to catch-up on phoning some friends and reading. Not very strenuous but oh so relaxing. Love to all, Arlene







No comments:

Post a Comment