Tuesday, November 19, 2013

FUNNY OR NOT?

For some absurd reason I got to thinking about Abbott and Costello, George Burns and Gracie Allen, Lucy and Desi in the middle of the night. The list went on of course, to include Bob Hope, Phyllis Diller and many more. They were truly funny comedians. They didn't resort to foul language, sex etc. Many years ago, Leland and I made the dreadful mistake in seeing Red Foxx in Las Vegas. He was terrible! Why do people, now-a-days find bodily functions, bedroom antics and using the F word funny? I consider myself equipped with a sense of humor but I don't laugh at the comedians of today. I find them unfunny!

Even adds on television as far as I am concerned have gone over the limit. Okay so I may be a tad jealous of the Victoria Secret models but still and all nothing is sacred when it comes to advertising. Obviously, the companies make money on showing nearly naked bodies. Remember the "older" movies when love affairs were not played out right in front of you but hinted at. To me that was sexier. Are the younger generation really laughing at these pathetic comedians or do they think it is a requirement? If we could ask Phyllis Diller, Dean Martin, Henny Youngman, etc who were really funny and others of yore what they think of the newer generation of comedians, I bet they would frown in displeasure.

Unfortunately with the advent of video games and computer driven action movies some of the younger ones are addicted to this type of violence. In some cases, as I have previously mentioned, video games have become a way of occupying the children in lieu of getting them involved in music, sports and most especially, reading. These are babysitting mechanisms for parents. This does NOT apply to all parents. I know both parents and grandparents who participate in watching and/or driving their family members to their various activities. I also know that in a lot of cases both parents need to work and they are just plum tired at the end of the day. But. you need to be aware of what your children are doing in their spare time.

I know that texting is a wonderful way of keeping in touch with our children (I don't text) and they use this method to touch base with friends. I think that is good but I  actually prefer talking with our children because you can detect in their voices how they truly are. I know immediately, if Laura is coming down with a cold or if one of the others is having a bad day. Conversely, we love hearing about the good things happening in their lives. One doesn't get the innuendos of what is going on in their lives unless you listen. Parents and Grandparents, listening is important.

Call me old-fashioned - that's okay!

STUART WOODS is a great author - particularly his older book ""PALINDROME"

CRANBERRY NUT CRESCENT:

One 8 ounce can crescent rolls
One 4 ounce can crescent rolls
One tablespoon sugar
1/2 cup chopped dried cranberries
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
One tablespoon powdered sugar

Heat oven to 375 degrees Unroll dough: separate into 12 triangles. Sprinkle with sugar, cranberries and walnuts. Press cranberries and walnuts lightly into dough. Roll loosely from shortest side of triangle. Place rolls, point side down on ungreased cookie sheet; curve into crescent shape. Bake for 11 to 13 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve warm. Makes 12 rolls.

Happily, Ari and our neighbor, Sonny Bush, who suffered a stroke are both on the mend. Hurray!

I have reread this and I know it sounds like a lecture but I also know that many of my piers agree with what I have written. Now if we could just get the younger ones to agree with this philosophy!

No comments:

Post a Comment