Thursday, November 7, 2013

KADEWE

An email from a friend, Joy Miller, whom we met in Berlin, evoked some very fond memories of shopping in foreign countries, particularly at the The Ka De in Berlin. It was and I am sure still is a premier and fabulous department store. One floor was completely devoted to food. Department stores in Japan, France, Bangkok and Harrods in London among others all have the same concept: everything you could possibly need is housed in one location. Browsing was an all day affair at the KaDeWe when you included having lunch at one of the lunch counters and buying food for that evening.  To me it was a such a treat to shop there. Many of the foods were exotic and abundant.  Harrods was a madhouse but I did buy some delicious scones on a recent trip. When we stayed in Tokyo the food was unfamiliar to me but I always found something by pointing.  The entire department store in Bangkok was filled with smells that were not always pleasant. but that is where I bought Laura's canned formula. Heaven knows what I fed her at times. Even to this day both of my children have very experimental appetites. I still have items that I purchased at the KaDeWe (non-perishable of course) from over twenty years ago. I am a saver! You know, I have a lot of "stuff".

When I think back to all the lovely opportunities that we had, thanks to Leland's career I am truly grateful. It was a vagabond life for many years but my goodness I wouldn't trade it for anything. I only wish that I had the aptitude for learning languages. I simply am a dummy when it comes to that. I envy people who can,  in fact,  speak several languages. I did take two years of Spanish in high school but saying "arroz con pollo" and nada will just get me so far.

Leland took me out and about today. Wasn't that fun for him! I looked around for some Christmas ideas  and came up with a great idea.  Gift cards always seem like the easiest solution these days but not very imaginative. I am thinking of a foreign theme for gifts (not China) because I happened upon cookies (where else but in TJ Maxx) in a tinned container from Nuremberg, Germany. It reminded me of our visits there at Christmas time. I still use some of the decorative tin boxes I got there. The cookies are long gone! But anyway, that is my theme this year, around the world!  Jennifer and her husband, Bud and Laura and Joe will be the recipients of this year's wild idea. They will be here for Christmas and we are so excited!

Whenever I had lunch at the KADEWE I would get the following treat which I have served as an appetizer on numerous occasions.

French bread sliced thinly
Camembret cheese
Ligonberry perserves

So simple! Just layer cheese and ligonberry on the bread.

Now is the time to go to the library and borrow Christmas cookbooks. You just might find the perfect recipe for your dinner get to-gether to serve alongside your traditional meal or to make for a gift. I truly read cookbooks like novels.

A drive in the country would make a fun day over the weekend. But, how silly of me, it's the football season.


'

No comments:

Post a Comment