Tuesday, November 5, 2013

GRATEFUL

Well today is my 74th birthday and I am so grateful to be able to celebrate!  Wonderful neighbors took me out for lunch and just a tad of shopping. I received so many cards and phone calls and messages that my ego is inflated!  I am truly blessed to have a wonderful husband, children, family and friends and really to just be alive. I won't "beat around the bush", this has been a tough year but with a renewed sense of courage I fully intend to celebrate my 75th. I have written about fear, worrying etc. and hopefully I will in time conquer all those negatives. Just please bear with me!

Sadly, on this day I got news that our wonderful neighbor, Les Piot passed away. Our heartfelt condolences go out to Joan, his wife and their family. Les suffered from alzheimer dIsease but always  had a smile on his face and a sense of humor.  He lived to be 91 and had had a wonderful and productive life. He will be missed by all. Also, I received news today that my Aunt Helen (my Mom's half sister) passed away last week. She was the one we met in New York City every Saturday for years. But, with this sad news I also think of my wonderful grand nephew, Jack who is just starting on this adventure we call life. Life continues with the young!  Go forth and enjoy little ones!

As usual when I sit down to write I have a vague idea of what I want to write but I just let the words flow. Because today is my birthday I titled this blog GRATEFUL because I am truly grateful for all that I have and the many people in my life who contribute to my happiness. I have never said "why me" because the fact of the matter is; why not me. No one wants to be ill but it does show us how well we can cope. I hope I am coping fairly well and meeting adversity, hopefully, with fortitude and a deep faith that all will be well. It hasn't always been easy but I have learned so much about the goodness of others and the deep meaning of friendship. Please know that I am so GRATEFUL for all of you!

I have been a subscriber to "Victoria" magazine for many years and also own several of their cookbooks.  I suggest you browse through an edition and then decide whether the magazine is your "cup of tea".

This recipe comes from "The Silver Palate" cookbook originally published in 1979. It is called  SPINACH PASTA WITH SALMON AND CREAM SAUCE
2 cups heavy cream
4 tablespoons sweet butter
salt to taste
pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
1 pound fresh spinach pasta, narrower noodles preferred (I sometimes used dried)
1 tablespoon parmesan (additional can be grated on the individual plates)
1 1/2 -2 cups smoked salmon (I usually buy the boxed (sockeye) one they sell at Costco during the holidays)
1/2 cup chopped fresh dill

Bring the cream and half of the butter to a simmer in a small saucepan. Add 1 teaspoon salt and the nutmeg, continue to simmer until cream is reduced by about one third.
Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot and drop in the pasta.
Meanwhile, stir grated parmesan, then the flaked salmon and 1/2 cup dill into the cream, and remove from the heat. Remember fresh pasta is ready in 2 to 3 minutes.
Drain pasta, return to the hot pan and toss with remaining butter is melted. Divide pasta among six heated plates and spoon salmon cream sauce over each portion.
Serves six first course portions.

Serve with freshly baked bread accompanied by olive oil with a bit of balsamic vinegar and a side salad.








No comments:

Post a Comment