Sunday, November 17, 2013

GREEN

I love the color green. It is and has always been my favorite color in the spectrum of colors. I don't necessarily care what hue it is, if it's green I am drawn to it. In all our previous homes including this one I always have touches of green. Our car is green!  I think that is why I used to collect Majolica. These decorative plates are spread out across our mantle and in the corner cupboard my Dad created many years ago. When we had the interior of our home painted a year or so ago I choose a lovely shade of green for our master bedroom and Tuscan colors for other rooms.

When we go out driving I ooh and aah at the many shades of green in the multitude of trees, grass etc. Think about it, flowers generally have green stems and leaves.  It must be God's favorite color also. Don't you sometimes wonder how all these colors came to be?  Have you ever seen a rainbow?  I have and have truly been astounded each and every time. I  used to love tramping through Muir Woods in California and seeing the various colors of moss.

I am not saying that I don't like other colors, I absolutely do, but green is the best!  Whenever we visit another country or state I admire the flowers. Seattle has an abundance of rain so flowers and foliage flourish. Hawaii has unusual flowers and of course,  the desert has their distinctive plants. When we went to Victoria we visited the Butchart Gardens and I took close-up photos of pratically all of the flowers in bloom.  My nephew Josh and his wife Gilda choose the Botanical Gardens in New York to host their wedding, It was magnificent!

In California I had gardenias that emitted the most wonderful aroma along with citrus trees that lined the pool area. Now, lest you believe I have a green thumb, I assure you that I positively do not!  I am simply an admirer!  Sadly gardening is not my thing.  That is one of the reasons that our community "The Orchards" appealed to us, gardening is included in our monthly dues. This Christmas I will decorate with holly which grows right out front.

If you are expecting a recipe for something green i.e. salad, pea soup etc, I am sorry to disappoint you. I am going with a hardy meal called:  CASSOULET D'AMORE;

One 1/4 pounds sweet Italian sausages, casing removed
Six GREEN onions
Six large garlic cloves, chopped
Two tablespoons olive oil
Two 1/4 cups crushed tomatoes with added puree
Two (15 oz can cannellini beans (white) drained
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
One teaspoon oregano (optional)
1/2 cup fresh Italian or french bread crumbs
12 cup grated parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine sausage (cut into thirds), chopped green onions, chopped garlic and olive oil in a heavy dutch oven over medium-high heat. Saute until sausages begin to brown about 12 minutes. Remove from heatr. Mix in crushed tomatoes, beans (I usually use 3 cans) parsley  and if using oregano.  Season with s & p  (I let guests season their dish on their own). Combine 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs and 1/2 cup grated parmesan  cheese in a small bowl. ( I am much more generous with this combination than the recipe calls for).  Sprinkle mixture evenly over cassoulet. Bake until cassoulet is heated through, bubbling around edges and light brown on top, about 36 minutes. Serve with french bread and lightly roasted asparagus if desired.

I am in a decorating mood! I think I will move things around a bit and incorporate some more green into the scheme. I have other green plates, green candles etc. stored away. And tonight I am preparing  stir fried asparagus and beef in hoisin sauce served with rice. I'll even light a green candle!

We found out last night that our neighbor and friend had a mild stroke last Wednesday. He along with Ari are in our prayers. We wish them both a speedy recovery. I hope that both families know that we are here for them.

1 comment:

  1. Green is my favorite color--living room green walls & couch--bedrooms all have a color theme one of course is green. Green can be a very calming color.
    Love you, Joan

    ReplyDelete