Thursday, November 28, 2013

KENYA

Happy Thanksgiving to one and all. I hope you have a delicious dinner with family and friends.

No surprise - last night in the wee hours of the morning I thought of a subject for my new blog. My mind was awhirl and I had difficulty falling back to sleep. I wish my mind would function as well during normal hours!

Years ago Leland had a trip to Kenya and he asked me if I would like to go along. Silly question! I was practically packed before he finished the sentence. I found a wonderful lady who came to stay with Laura and off we went. We flew into Nairobi and along with some other crew members hired a safari guide. I wouldn't call him the most enthusiastic guide but he got us safely to and from our destinations. On the rutted road, hanging on for dear life we saw the most exquisite wild life: giraffes, lions, zebra, wildebeasts etc. running across the plains. I was mesmerized by the beauty of it all. We arrived at our destination and found a group of huts and outdoor dining facilities.

Because it was a quick decision for me to accompany Leland I was not able to get some medical shots. Oh well! On our way to our hut a nasty thing flew into my blouse and BIT me. We hadn't been there twenty minutes! I slapped my chest and the culprit fell on the ground. I looked at Leland and he had this strange look on his face as he bent to pick it up. Naturally we thought it was a tse tse fly. Oh my! We carried it into the "hotel" desk to show it to the man. I was trying to stay calm but wasn't terribly successful.  He identified it as an African bee and gave me some ointment which worked beautifully. 

When we woke up there were monkeys on the outdoor tables helping themselves to sugar. We weren't inclined to have coffee. Our safari continued and we saw hippos and more. I bought a black beaded bracelet from a Masai woman who had to be six foot five. She removed it from her wrist and gave it to me. Back in Nairobi I bought hand carved African animals and some other inexpensive jewelry. I didn't even look for a cookbook. A first for me!

Ii was a fabulous trip. The carved animals are long gone but I still have the jewelry and when I want to look funky I wear them. And, of course I still have the memories.

A friend of mine, Faith Morrow from fifty years ago sent me this recipe which is so fitting for today.

CRANBERRIES:

3 CUPS SUGAR
3/4 CUP WATER
4 WHOLE CLOVES
1 MEDIUM STICK CINNAMON
2 (12 OZ) PKG CRANBERRIES
3/4 THIN SKINNED ORANGE, INCLUDING SKIN, FINELY CHOPPED
3/4 COGNAC OR BRANDY

In pan combine sugar and water. Bring to boil and boil 3 minutes without stirring. Add cloves, cinnamon stick, cranberries and orange. Cook, stirring occasionally over low heat for 4 - 5 minutes until cranberries begin to burst. Remove from heat and stir in Cognac. Let cool. Remove cinnamon stick. Place in containers and refrigerate.

Blessings to all! Love, Arlene



No comments:

Post a Comment