Saturday, November 16, 2013

RELAXATION

What a wonderful relaxing day this has been. I have been all snuggled up in the bedroom reading and catching up on some TV shows. Leland is watching the UGA vs Auburn football game. Sadly UGA isn't doing very well. Later we will watch a movie together. I personally think that this is a perfect way to spend a weekend. Lest you think I am really lazy I did do laundry and cooked dinner. The perfect wife!!?  Gregory always calls to wish us a good weekend and to check up on Mom and Dad. We appreciate  all the  family checking in with us. Last week was pretty busy and the coming week seems to be heading in that direction so a quiet weekend is always so welcome.

The older we get, the more inclined we are to want quiet time together.  Yes, I know that we are often not even in the same room but we are in close proximity to one another.  Sometimes, because we are retired and we truly love our home, I feel like we are on vacation. That is a good thing. I have never had a "keeping up with the Joneses'" mentality so I am happy for all our friends who are traveling etc. and enjoying their retirement. Goodness knows they worked many years to be able to live comfortably in their "golden years". I am anxious for the future of our children and grandchildren because the scenario is changing rapidly and drastically. Remember I urge you to involve yourself in politics. I know that it is a sore subject and like religion should be avoided but come on folks, things are not going well in Washington, D.C.  Educate yourselves and then vote. Every vote counts and is important.

This is  a short opine today as my mind is as lazy as my body today. I just wanted to say a quick hello and recommend that you find some Agatha Christie movies on Netflix. I have read all of her books and now enjoy watching Miss Marple and Poirot solve mysteries.  Remember "The Ten Little Indians" movie based on one of her books?  That is one of my all time favorites. I presume my love of mysteries stem from the Nancy Drew books I used to read as a child.

CRANBERRY FOOL

One and 1/2 cup whipping cream
Two tablespoons sugar
One teaspoon vanilla
One (16oz) can whole cranberry sauce

In bowl, combine whipping cream, sugar and vanilla. Beat with mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form. Place cranberry sauce in large mixing bowl. Using spatula, gently fold in cream mixture until combined. Cover lightly and refrigerate. A great dessert! Serve with a shortbread cookie.

SHORTBREAD

One pound butter, softened
One cup sugar
Four cups flour

Mix above ingredients. Flour hands lightly and spread dough on a 15 1/2 X 10 1/2 inch jelly roll pan (cookie sheet with sides). Prick with fork before baking. Bake at 300 degrees for one hour until light brown. After baking sprinkle with sugar and cut while warm.

I hope all of you are enjoying your weekend. I look forward to seeing some of you this week and to Pat and Tommy enjoy that tropical weather and the resort. You deserve it!


No comments:

Post a Comment