Tuesday, November 12, 2013

ALASKA AND BEYOND

I have been thinking about the wonderful Alaskan cruise/tour we went on with our dear friends and neighbors' Pat and Tommy Demetriou. We had a blast! We choose our excursions well thanks to Pat's exhaustive research. We admired the colorful flowers hanging from baskets in Anchorage, flew over the glaciers in a tiny airplane. My apprehensiveness completely disappeared when we took in the beauty of the landscape. We rafted and saw wild life beyond belief. We saw Mt McKinley (usually hidden behind clouds) in all its glory. We ended up in Victoria and Vancouver. It was such a memorable trip because of the companionship of Pat and Tommy and because of the beauty of Alaska. Then I think about  our bus trip to Scotland and what made that trip so special was that we were with our friends of many years, Diana and Chuck James. We have taken other trips and we have been fortunate to spend quality time with people near and dear to our hearts; Mary and John Rutherford and Judy and Paul Nicolson and again Pat and Tommy on our Australian/New Zealand cruise. It wouldn't be me if I didn't mention how delicious the food was on all these trips. What fun times those trips were! My memory bank is filled with the joy of those trips. But I still have space for further adventures!


If someone asked me what my favorite trip was, I really couldn't say. I know I loved touring Italy because we were with my Sister, Greg and Grace. Our rented villa sat outside of Cortona where Laura was attending school  and was just divine. We went to Pisa, the Amalfi coast and to Pompeii, Florence and Rome. What made that trip so special was that we were with family. We laughed, we awed at Italy and we shopped and ate! The perfect combination!


I have been so fortunate to have always been accompanied by the "love of my life" Mr. Leland Thomas Larson. Which reminds me; did I ever tell you that when I was eight or nine years old and I fell in like with Leland I always envisioned us getting married. I practiced writing Mrs. Leland T. Larson and Mrs. Arlene Larson. Little did I know then that my dream would eventually and happily come true. I am the luckiest person!


I am so intent on capturing my life on this blog so that future generations will have a glimpse into the Arlene of yore. I want to be remembered for my sense of adventure and to know that I truly cared about family and friends. Somehow that is important to me. I know I am not unique in that respect because I am sure all of you that read this blog feel the same way. We are similar that way! That's why we love one another.


EASY MACAROONS (My Mom's recipe)
Mix together a six ounce package of grated coconut (the finer the better) with a 15 ounce can of sweetened condensed milk and two teaspoons of vanilla. Drop a heaping teaspoon on cookie sheet covered with a greased paper bag. I guess wax paper or parchment would work. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.

Have a great day and spend some time researching your next trip. It is a big world out there to explore. Please also keep the survivors and the people helping to restore normalcy from the typhoon in your prayers.


No comments:

Post a Comment