Friday, November 8, 2013

SAYING GOODBYE

Saying goodbye is never easy for the family and friends of a loved one. Today we attended the celebration of the life of our neighbor and friend, Les Piot. Many lovely remembrances were shared by the children and grandchildren of Les. He was a kind, generous and loving man who left a legacy of dignity and decency to his family that will be shared through the years to the new generations of Piots.

It is difficult to change subjects but I am going to segue to another topic because I am all snuggled up in my cozy pajamas and looking forward to a quiet weekend. We might even switch on the fireplace just for the atmosphere as it doesn't emit any heat at all. Around the football games that Leland will watch we will catch up on some of our favorite programs that are taped: NCIS, CHICAGO FIRE, BLUE BLOODS and ELEMENTARY. These are shows we jointly watch as Leland is not at all interested in HGTV and the food network shows. And, I am embarrassed but honest to say "The  Housewives of Beverly Hills etc. (I put that in small letters in hopes you will just glance over that last one.)

We will also (how exciting) try to find out what is ailing the freezer section of our refrigerator. That, of course means, taking everything out of there. I hope we are not going to find six of one thing (like my mustards). Maybe Leland can fix it and maybe we will have to call  the repair man. I'm betting on the later.

I have also taken the advice of some very well meaning friends and said goodbye to my daily Starbucks addiction. The last seizure I had basically came after drinking my five shots of decaf espresso (vente) over lots of ice which I had been having daily for years.  I ponder whether Starbucks stock has recently gone down!?  Maybe they accidentally gave me caffeinated. Maybe it was just a coincidence. Whatever, I did go on line and did find that there is a debate as to whether caffeine is a determent to people in my circumstance.  So, why should I not do everything I can to prevent seizures. I will never get a DUI as I can't drink alcohol and of course, I am not able to drive. I  am not bragging just stating the facts, maam!

I hope you are all keeping up with what is going on in our country. The next vote is an important one. Don't take anything for granted.  You do need to vote for the person(s) who best represent your thought process in regards to our country.  And, while I am at it, you also need to shop at TJ MAXX as moi owns stock in the company!  Remember the Holidays are coming. How pushy I am!

ESPRESSO-BALSAMIC ROASTED CHICKEN
One pound red potatoes, cut into one inch chunks
Two large carrots, sliced
One medium red onion cut into 8 wedges
One tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
One (3 1/2 pound) cut up chicken
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
Three tablespoons brown sugar
Two teaspoons instant espresso powder
Chopped parsley, for garnish

Preheat oven to 425 degrees
In large roasting pan, toss vegetables with oil and 1/4 tsp each oregano, salt and pepper. Pat chicken dry with paper towel, place on top of vegetables and sprinkle with 1/2 tsp salt. Roast 20 minutes.
Meanwhile in a 2 quart saucepan, stir vinegar, sugar, espresso powder, 1/4 cup water,, remaining 1/4 tsp oregano. Heat to to boiling on medium-high, stirring. Reduce heat, simmer 8 to 10 minutes or until thickened and slightly syrupy.
Brush chicken with sauce. Roast 15 minutes. Brush with more sauce. Roast 10 minutes or until thermometer into thickest part of chicken reaches 165 degrees F.
Transfer chicen and vegetables to platter. Strain pan juice into measuring cup; discard fat. Pour juices over chicken and vegetables. Garnish with parsley.
Serve with a wonderful bread. A meal in one pan! Serves 6

Now is a good time to go through your wardrobe and give what you are no longer wearing to a charity.  Take magazines you have read to a nursing home and share books you have purchased with your neighbors. Now you are definitely convinced - that I am pushy!

Have a wonderful weekend, Love, Arlene  P.S.  Laura pointed out that I mentioned giving up coffee and here I posted a recipe that calls for espresso!  Okay use decaf espresso powder if caffeine effects you.




No comments:

Post a Comment