Tuesday, October 1, 2013

PHOBIAS'

I used to love going on airplanes because it usually meant that we were going on an adventure. Now I dread the ritual of embarking on a flight. Yes, I know security is a necessary procedure but it is still a pain. The seats are cramped and the food is either non-existant or dreadful. People used to get dressed up for their travels and for the theatre, opera, church etc. No longer! I truly wonder if the young ladies in short shorts are immune to the cold! People get very grumpy when a flight is delayed and very pushy when time to disembark.. Also I truly think that the flight attendants are not as affable as they were years ago.  On our flight to Australia (a very long flight) we had a geriatric female attendant who could not manage the overhead compartments. Leland helped her close them. But, I have to say she smiled a lot and did her job well.

When I was in my late thirties and was halfway up a mountain in California I developed an instant fear of heights (a.k.a. acrophobia). Greg and his father had a heck of a time getting me back down to ground level. That fear stayed with me for quite some time. I learned not to look down on many occasions. Fortunately, it is gone now but please do not expect me to go sky diving anytime soon!

Then, I developed claustrophobia! You are now thinking I am a hopeless neurotic but "hold your horses" it gets worse! I began to dislike elevators and either would use the stairs or wait until there were additional people riding with me. After all I had to have someone to commiserate with, if we got stuck and to calm my hysteria. Even in the ladies room I would make sure that the space was large enough for me to crawl under if I couldn't open the door.  (yuck!) Okay, now is the time to call me "nuts".

Now that I have  endured countless MRI's (alright so I took a tiny valium) and CT scans and had to wear a mask over my entire head, locked to a table and could only breathe through my nose for  thirty three sessions of radiation treatments (without pills!) I am no longer claustrophobic. (wow that's a run on sentence - my apologies to all english majors).  I had to make a choice, go crazy or "go with the flow". Thankfully, I chose the latter.

I have developed a "que sera sera attitude and I am much better off. I am content with my life and decided that fear shouldn't be a factor any longer. Now if I could just quit worrying about stuff!

If you have been following this blog (I sure hope so) you will remember Micki G.  Micki bought for me the most memorable book: "Once We Were Brothers" by Ronald H. Balsom. It was terrific and it is now making the rounds in the neighborhood. Also when Micki and her wonderful husband came over for dinner I included the following dish. She requested the  recipe which I would now like to share with you:

Recipe: Buttermilk Salad

1 (20 oz.) can crushed pineapple
2 small or 1 large box of orange flavored Jell-O
2 cups buttermilk
8 oz. extra creamy cool whip
1 cup pecans optional but I use them)
   
Drain juice from pineapple into a small saucepan. Add Jell-O and cook over low heat until Jell-O dissolves, then add crushed pineapple. Let cool. Mix buttermilk and Cool Whip. Add pecans and Jell-O to mixture. Pour into a mold or casserole dish an refrigerate until firm. This makes a lovely side dish.

I hope you all are enjoying everyday. Believe me, it truly is important. And, as my mother used to say, do a little, sit a little.

3 comments:

  1. Mom, enjoying spending time reading about Tee's-Time! Love, GWH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you are enjoying it! Remember the mountain incident? Love you, Mom

      Delete
    2. Forever etched in my memory. Love, GWH

      Delete