Friday, October 25, 2013

BACKGROUND

I just spent some time re-reading some of my blogs and I realized that I didn't mention anything about my education and work background.  After graduating from Harrison High school in 1957 I attended New Paltz State University in New Paltz, New York.  Unfortunately I didn't graduate (one of my biggest regrets).  Following my exit  I worked at Sloan Kettering as a secretary to four doctors and went to night school at a community college.  I then became a "mathematical analyst" at the Royal McBee Corporation in Rye, New York (Now defunct).  When they relocated to New Jersey I decided that the commute would be too much and put in an application to Eastern airlines to become a "stewardess".  I was accepted and was looking forward to training in Florida.  In the meantime I met Bill Hankinson, a graduate of RPI. Bill (a Mayflower descendant) had just gotten out of the Air Force and within two months we got married.  He thought he was going to be transferred to Japan so things speeded up.  One could not be a stewardess (now flight attendant) and be married so I bowed out.  Our wonderful son, Gregory was born two and a half years later so life settled down and when Greg was five and going into kindergarten we moved to Armonk, New York and lived there for sixteen years.  Bill commuted to New York City.  When Greg was in elementary school I worked as a "lunch lady" in his school. That way I could  greet him at the door when he got off of the school bus and take him to his various activities.  I also took courses in real estate.  I became a real estate broker and held that position for twelve years.  I loved my job!  We relocated to Menlo Park, California and I found a job as a receptionist in a busy real estate office. I enjoyed working there until I moved back to Armonk.  And then Leland came along and then Laura.

For Gregory: The first time your dad and I moved to California (Fairfield) and we had been married one year your grandparents, Glenda (nee MacDonald) and William Barrett Hankinson, Sr. flew in from Teheran, Iran  where they had been living for about eight years. They were accompanied by your Aunt Linda and Uncle Michael. Each of the three children were seven years apart. Your dad, then Michael then Linda.  I can't tell you how nervous I was as we waited for their plane to land at the San Francisco Airport .This would be our first time meeting one another as they were unable to attend our wedding. They were charming and wonderful and your grandmother was absolutely beautiful. They would remain in Teheran for a total of ten years. Your grandfather, who graduated from Georgia Tech was originally from Augusta, GA.  His job was to set up and run a textile mill in Iran. The Shah was in power. They lived a very good life there. Your grandmother was originally from Kentucky. I am sure you remember visiting them in White Plains, N.Y. when they moved back to the states. They were wonderful to me and I adored them.

I remember one time when we were on a trip with Leland and a flight attendant asked Laura (about four at the time) what her mommy did.  Laura retorted "my mommy is a shopping mommy"!  The flight attendant told Leland who couldn't stop laughing.  I didn't see the humor in it!  Out of the "mouths of babes". Another time we were again along for the ride and were heading to Istanbul.  We had a short stop in Zurich. We had told Laura that we were going to Turkey. A pilot and friend asked Laura where she was going to today and she responded "I think we are going to chicken"!  Many times I was asked (in a very polite way by flight attendants) when Laura was an infant and we were again tagging along with Leland, how old I was. At forty-four I was on the older side. to say the least.  For some reason this gave the flight attendants some satisfaction that their "biological clock" was not ticking away as fast as they thought. I hope I was an inspiration to some.

When Laura was growing up I was basically a stay at home mom.  Laura told me one day that she was so glad that I was there for her when she got home from school. That alone made it all worth it.  The bottom line is that I tried my best with both of my children and try to be there for the entire family. I love them all so very much!

Someone recommended that I read "the Husband's Secret" by Liane Moriarty.  I bought it today. If you haven't read "The Pilots Wife" it is a wonderful read.

SAUSAGE BALLS: An easy appetizer
Three cups Biscuit mix
One pound hot ground (or mild) pork sausage
One (10 oz) package sharp cheddar cheese, shredded

Combine all ingredients in a large bow, pressing mixture together with hands. Shape into 3/4 inch balls and place on lightly greased baking sheets. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 to 18 minutes or until lightly browned.
Yield: about eight dozen




No comments:

Post a Comment