Wednesday, October 9, 2013

FALL & FAMILY

Leland has gone to a communication meeting at the clubhouse and I am sitting back and enjoying a cup of tea.  The cold weather arrived today and I am all set for it. I spent a day changing out summer clothes for fall ones. I just put  a fall wreath on the door and hopefully we will get a pumpkin today to sit out on our porch. We do not get children in our neighborhood as it is a fifty-five and older community. No need to buy candy! That's a very good thing as I usually bought candy that I liked and over indulged. Leland still reminds me that I used to eat the ears off of Laura's chocolate bunnies at Easter time. Obviously, I have a love affair with chocolate. I miss dressing up my children in Halloween costumes and getting them all dressed up for the holidays.  I miss a lot of things from their childhoods: arranging their birthday parties, watching them play their sports etc. I never minded chauffeuring them around to their various activities and cheering them on. I am reminded of how well they turned out so I wouldn't trade those days for anything.

Some  things are just plain old genetic: Greg got my "bee in the bonnet" gene. If we decide we need or want something we have to have it NOW and will go to extremes to obtain it. Laura got the collecting gene and like me doesn't mind a little clutter from our collections. We like to go on the hunt for just the right thing.  My TJ Maxx bill arrived and it so much lower now that I can't drive. I was so used to getting in the car and just popping in on numerous occasions to browse/shop.  Hopefully, in six months that will change if I remain seizure free.  Conversely, Greg is a minimalist. Everything has a place and heaven forbid an item is moved. Both Greg and Laura are artistic. That is a Wood family heritage. And the list goes on....

I can remember my mother saying "just wait until you have children of your own". Maybe she figured it was payback time. I really don't understand as my sister and I were good. My two were good.  So, I imagine that in her own way she  was telling me how wonderful it is to have children. It really is! I also inherited four more plus grandchildren and so now life is full of joy and loving support. My sister and I have always been there for one another.  The bottom line is there is nothing like family.

This weekend my nephew is arriving with his wife and my grand-nephew Jack. I will be meeting him for the first time. I was in New York for his shower and now I get to actually hold him. I dare you to take him from my arms! I can't tell you how touched I am that they would make the time to come from New York and visit us. They know the trip up north would be difficult for us. I feel very special!

My cousin, Joan calls all the time to check up on me. Thank you! Joan is the daughter of my Uncle Al. Remember when I told you that he and my mother were so ill-treated by their step-father. He too, went on to be very successful but sadly passed away at a relatively young age. Joan and her husband, Gene have been here to visit. Y'all come back soon!

Honestly, when I sat down to write today this was untitled because I didn't know what I was going to write. But, somehow it just evolved and I am happy with it. I know this is a personal story but I hope that you, the reader can somehow relate. Thank you, Arlene

I just purchased "AND THE MOUNTAINS ECHOED" written by Khaled Hosseini. I am sure I will enjoy it as much as I enjoyed his two previous books "THE KITE RUNNER" and "A THOUSAND SPLENDID SUNS".

RECIPE: ONE BOWL FUDGE (great holiday gift)

2 packages (8 squares each Bakers semi-sweet chocolate
1 can (14oz) sweetened condensed milk
2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Microwave chocolate and milk in large microwavable bowl on high 2 - 3 minutes or until chocolate is almost melted. Stir halfway through heating time Remove and stir until chocolate is completely melted. Stir in vanilla and walnuts. Spread in a greased 8 inch square pan. Refrigerate until firm. Cut into squares.

My sister reminded me that Joshua remembers going "grocery shopping" in grandpa's garden. I remember pulling a carrot out of the ground, brushing it off and eating it. I spent many hours in the garden with my dad mostly just sitting on the bench, chewing away. Gregory helped plant the vegetables.  Dad didn't realize it at the time but he was an organic grower. Our neighbors had chickens - need I say more. We all loved that garden!  We also had an old row boat and used it on the pond. Those were the "good old days" and simpler times only because our parents were part of those days.

No comments:

Post a Comment