Monday, October 21, 2013

THE WENZELS

When we lived in Mt. Vernon we had a family of four: Paul and Thelma Wenzel and their two children, Paul, Jr. and Sally as neighbors.  They displayed their wealth quite well!  Their cars were new and expensive and Paul, Jr. and Sally had the best of everything. To put it mildly they were quite spoiled and well fed. (nasty me!)  Mr. Wenzel set up Kresge five and dime stores so they moved around a fair amount. They were the first on our street to get a TV so my friends and I would huddle outside peering in their sun porch windows. They didn't mind, they liked showing off their newest purchase.

I loved Christmas and the anticipation of Santa Claus. We didn't have a fireplace but mom and dad assured me that Santa would and could climb in the open window. It was a ritual that I would leave cookies and milk for Santa and carrots for the reindeer. Santa always managed to squeeze in through the window. Christmas Eve was magical!  It was 1949 and I was ten years old.  Christmas was just around the corner!  But, Mrs. Wenzel and Sally informed me that there was NO Santa. I was crushed; my parents were furious!

The Wenzels' moved away but they continued to exchange Christmas cards with my parents for years. One day we all received a wedding invitation to Sally's wedding. It was being held in Pennsylvania. My parents, Bill and I decided to make the trek. We ate sparingly for breakfast, got all dressed up and went on our merry way. We arrived at the church and watched as Sally walked down the aisle. Her father stood by her side throughout most of the ceremony and sobbed his head off.  We then ventured to the reception venue. It was a country club setting. The tables were set with the most elegant china and every imaginable piece of silverware. We sat down and we were told to help ourselves to the appetizers on the buffet table. The four of us ate VERY little in anticipation of the main meal to come. After all, there were plates galore on our table.  Shortly thereafter, everything but the cake plates and cake forks were removed from our table. The wedding cake was served!

On our way home we stopped at a dinner as we were famished!  I wonder if my parents kept in touch with the Wenzels'. I am assuming we got thank you notes for our gifts but I can't remember. But, I will always remember that they were the ones who burst my bubble about Santa. Let your children and grandchildren believe as long as they want to and keep them away from people like the Wenzels!

RECIPE: Eggnog pound cake

One (16 oz) package pound cake mix
1 1/4 cups eggnog
2 large eggs
1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees/ Beat all ingredients together at low speed with an electric mixer until blended. Increase speed to medium, and beat two minutes. Pour into lightly greased 9 X 5 inch loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees for  one hour to one hour and five minutes or until a long wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from pan to wire rack, and cool completely about one hour.
This is a southern favorite.

I just bought "The Killing of Jesus" by Bill O'Reilly. I will let you know if I recommend it. I do own a kindle but I just like holding the book!


1 comment:

  1. Arlene-I do believe you introduced this recipe to me at our first Christmas party!

    ReplyDelete