Sunday, September 29, 2013

COOKBOOKS AND......

I am positively smittened with cookbooks. I have hundreds of them!! Whenever we go on a trip I buy a cookbook as a souvenir and I haunt grocery stores to see if I can make a new discovery to bring home. I read the cookbooks as if  they are novels and make a list of recipes I might like to try. Lest you think I am a gourmet cook let me remind you of the operative word; might.  Many years ago I bought a HUGE tin of olive oil in Italy and placed it on the airplane floor by my seat. Unfortunately the tin had a leak and we had to throw the whole thing out after landing. In China I bought tea leaves from a tea farm.  Too much caffeine for me!  In Greece I bought oregano to add flavor to my tomato sauce.  Now- a- days the airlines discourage food products but I still manage to put products in my stowed baggage.  As a gift for the children (all six) I hand wrote a cookbook journal for each of them (similar to my sister's journal) with my recipes. (hello carpal tunnel!) They tell me that when they make recipes from them they think of me. How nice!

At this time of my life it is the simple things that I enjoy. Sitting in an easy chair and reading, visiting with friends and family, playing bridge, doing crossword puzzles and yes, watching T.V.  These things make me happy. I used to be a news junky but the world has changed and I am so disappointed to see what is happening to our country and I feel terrible when I hear about tragedies happening throughout the world.

 I am not a puritan but what is going on with motion pictures? So much bad language, sex and violence. Is this really what the public wants? That's a little scary to think that young kids are being exposed to all of this. Leland and I sat down with Laura and her boyfriend, Joe to watch a movie on our T.V. We were all mortified with the opening scene and as a group decided to watch something else. I would like Hollywood to make movies we can view with our adult children without being embarrassed.

Believe it or not I am already pouring through some of my cookbooks because we got some really good news: Our daughters, Jennifer and Laura and their husband/boyfriend will be spending Christmas with us. And, possibly Andrea and grandson, Nicholas. What a merry group! This year I will be baking goodies and I already am planning on making the following recipe for a brunch.

Recipe: Baked Pear Frittata

2 - 4 firm-ripe pears (about one lb. total)
2 tablespoons butter
6 large eggs
1/3 cup milk
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
l teaspoon vanilla
1/4 salt 
whipped cream cheese (optional)
1 to 2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar

Rinse, peel and core pears. Cut fruit into 1/2 chunks. In a 9 to 10 inch ovenproof non- stik pan over medium-high heat, melt butter; add pears and turn occasionally until lightly browned and tender when pierced, 7 to 8 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk to blend eggs, milk, flour, granulated sugar, vanilla, and salt. Remove frying pan from heat and pour egg mixture over pears. Bake in a 425 degree oven until frittata is golden brown and set in center when pan is gently shaken, 8 to 12 minutes. Cut into wedges to serve. Spoon dollops of cheese onto portions and sprinkle with brown sugar.

This recipe is a winner!

A note from Laura, the photo editor of Tees-Time:
"When I read this blog I knew I wanted to snap a picture from the recipe book my mom wrote for me. Having the recipes in my moms handwriting is truly special and I will cherish it always.  This recipe is one of my favorites and I made it for my boyfriend, Joe's family last Christmas.  
I am so blessed to have such a wonderful mom!" -- LWL


Reading Recommendation:

Author: Ann Purser,  "Lois Meade" Mysteries.

Can't you feel fall in the air? Halloween and Thanksgiving are on their way. And, we will be celebrating our son, Gregory's 50th birthday on October 29th. Where in the world have the years gone!? We are so proud of the wonderful and caring man he has become. Thank you Greg for always being there for Dad and I.





2 comments:

  1. I remember the first time I had your corn pudding, thanksgiving many years ago! It was, and still is, one of my all-time favorites! You are such an amazing chef and second-mother! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Kate, Lovely to hear from you. We miss you! Hi to your parents. You are indeed like a daughter to us. Love you too, Arlene

      Delete