Tuesday, October 29, 2013

GOOD DEEDS

This day is one for the books! It started out with a bang and ended with a thud! To put everything into perspective let me tell you that the last seven months have presented many challenges to me and my family. Starting with my surgery for an aggressive brain tumor with only 95% of it being removed. I had follow-ups of 33 radiation treatments. It was a long and grueling process but what kept me going was and is the love and support of family and friends. I was doing fairly well until I had my first seizure on June 19th followed by one on August 21. Each one was such a setback. Today I arrived home after a lovely excursion with two of my neighbors. I felt a seizure coming on and called 911. To make a long story short (and yes this time I was dressed) they took me by ambulance (had another siezure in the ambulance) (with Leland and Pat following close behind) to the hospital. I had some medication, a CT scan, blood work etc. Rather spoiled my afternoon! Every time I think I am making progress I take a step backward.

Originally I was not going to write about my ordeal but it is truly connected to the guts of the blog that was my original intention and already titled "GOOD DEEDS". I NEVER would have gotten this far without my wonderful husband, our children, my sister and her family and our terrific friends. I have a received so MANY cards filled with good wishes and prayers for my recovery from our neighbors and friends and family. I cherish them all and will keep them forever. I honestly believe that the encouragements to get well have sincerely made me be braver and stronger to fight the fight.

Now, the crux of "GOOD  DEEDS" is this; I can no longer drive (a state law that when you have a seizure one cannot drive for six months). This is so sad to independent me. My husband and some friends chauffeur me around without complaint. I hope they know that if there were a role reversal that I would do the same for them.

Why don't we all take note of the people in our neighborhoods who are alone and unable to drive to doctor appointments, grocery stores etc. It would take so little time out of our day to do a "good deed".I fully intend to become aware of situations that require assistance, a get well card, a meal delivery or just chatting with a lonely person. From personal experience even a cheering up visit makes my day. I have grown to love so many of our neighbors because of their legitimate concern about my health. We are all facing our mortality but in the meantime let's live life to the fullest and with a big smile on our faces. Please notice if someone  needs a smile put on his or her face. We can do it! Even phone calls help. Let's go forward and love THY neighbor. I know I love all of you out there! Thanks for being here for me and Leland and doing so many good deeds for us.  Let's make a pact to think of others. Thank you so very much, Love, Arlene


RECIPE: BOURBON HOT DOGS

2 LBS OSCAR MEYER WIENERS OR HOTDOGS (I CUT THEM INTO FOURTHS)
1 1/2 CUPS CATSUP
1/2 CUP BROWN SUGAR
1/2 cup BOURBON

I PUT THE INGREDIENTS IN A CROCKPOT AND USE THE CROCKPOT AS A SERVER. A REALLY NICE APPETIZER. HOPE YOUR GUESTS ENJOY!

I can hardly put down "The Husband's Secret" by Liane Moriarty down - it's fabulous!


No comments:

Post a Comment