Monday, October 7, 2013

THE PAST

My father came from a privileged background, my mother did not. Her childhood, to say the least was a sad one. Her parents met here in the USA both having arrived from Czechoslovakia near the Austrian border. Mom was born in Johnston, PA and was reared in Dunlo, PA, a small Czech mining community. During the 1918 flu epidemic she lost her beloved father and siblings. Only my grandmother, my mother Anne and her brother Al survived. Their next door neighbor lost his wife but had several children that also survived. He became my step-grandfather and I did not like him. Frankly, I do not even remember his first name. He was not at all nice to my mother and her brother. When Mom was nineteen she left Dunlo and moved to New York City to enter nursing school. Dad, the youngest of five and the mischief maker of the family (he "borrowed" the family car at a very young age and went on a "joy ride" sans license) also lived in the city. He was in a long term relationship with Dorothy, a nurse. He played semi-pro basketball, tennis and golf and loved creating furniture.  He was twenty-nine years old and worked at the "Lighthouse for the Blind" in New York City. In the summer he was a director of a camp for underprivileged children. One night there was a dance at the Lighthouse and the nursing students were invited, mom included. It was "love at first sight" and mom and dad married shortly thereafter. Poor Dorothy! But wait, Dorothy was the delivery room nurse when I was born and she and mom became life long friends. She never married but neither did she hold a grudge. She watched me grow up and was very dear to me. Mom overcame her loveless childhood and became the most loving and fun mom ever. She and dad were great role models. She also loved working at the camp during the summers. Like dad, she loved children. There marriage lasted forty-seven years. She was widowed for twenty years before she passed away at age 85. My sister and I were so proud of her independence. People gravitated toward her because of her beautiful smile. My sister and I will always miss both of our parents.

A lot of people come from dysfunctional backgrounds. Sadly. some people never overcome them.  But others like my mother proceed and do well.  She made sure that Carole-Anne and I had a quality of life that she never had. She and dad made sure that home "was where the heart was" and we knew that we were always welcomed there with "open arms". My parents were the only babysitters that Gregory ever had.  Dad taught him how to play chess (he became a national champion), how to fish and he was a calming influence and presence in his life. Grandma was fun! My two nephews, Joshua and Justin also have fond memories of Grandma and Grandpa Wood. Laura loved going over to grandma's for a sleepover.

Dad and Mom went to Hawaii first class! It was their first airline trip. They then toured the other islands in a small little plane. They had the BEST time! This trip gave them the travel bug and they made several trips out to California to visit me in Menlo Park. They missed Greg and me. Sadly, when Dad got ill their traveling days as a couple came to an end. But, how wonderful that they had those trips together. I loved having them visit! One time I told them each to pack a bag as we were going on a surprise trip. I took them to Yosemite and they marveled at the scenery. We toured Napa Valley etc. They were always keen to go! And the more spontaneous the better. Surprise us they would say!


When we lived in Germany, Mom visited twice and we took her on trips. The most notable was a drive through Czechoslavia. She didn't speak the language but later found out she had relatives still living there. The people we met were absolutely charming. I am also proud of my Czech heritage. Believe me, she was so adventuresome. She used to say, just put me in a car and drive. She developed a love of travel and would venture anywhere.


RECIPE: CZECH NOODLES

7 oz. noodles
1/4 butter
1/4 light brown sugar
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 cup sour cream
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 - 8oz pkg dates,  cut up (optional) I have never used them

Cook noodles, add butter and brown sugar to drained noodles and mix until butter is melted. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Pur into greased 4 to 5 cup souffle or casserole dish. Do not cover. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Serve with additional sour cream on the side.

Instead of a book I am recommending "HOMELAND" which is being shown on HBO. We started at the beginning thanks to our neighbor, Joan. She has been loaning us her  DVD's. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Auntie, thanks for writing about Grandma & Grandpa. It warms my heart just to think about her. I never knew how they met and never realized grandma went on that many cool trips overseas and to California. We are so lucky that she was such a strong women despite the difficult upbringing. Thank you for the blog below about slowing down and enjoying every day, it really puts things in perspective - seems like Kristen & I both are moving at 150 miles per hour, living in NYC and working crazy hours - sometimes its easy to take a beautiful day for granted. Thanks for the reminder to occasionally chill out! Love you, Justin

    P.S. Do you have any good crock pot recipes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Justin, I am so happy that you are enjoying the blog. It's been fun writing it! I will look for a good recipe but also recommend going on Amazon for a crock pot cookbook. Study the reviews before purchasing. You and Kristen have an open invitation to visit at anytime. I am so proud of you! Love to you both, Auntie

      Delete