Saturday, October 5, 2013

STUFF

I look around our home, in our cabinets, in our basement and all I see is stuff!  I love dishes and have many lovely sets that I have purchased throughout the years. I collect majolica, royal doulton figurines, antique platters, etc. I have many antique cups and saucers (inherited from my mother-in-law). They are packed away in the basement. I decided I couldn't live without a panini machine,  a fondue set, electric crepe maker, ice cream maker and raclette machine (don't ask!), a huge chafing dish, buffet warming serving tray, and an expresso maker. I mention these specific items because I have NEVER used them! I did use an expensive bread making machine twice. Leland figured that each loaf cost approximately $105.00 each.  I am sure that Goodwill was able to sell it rather quickly to an enthusiastic cook. I could add much more to this list but then you would think I was an impulsive buyer and folks you would be right. I have bought expensive cooking utensils (the kind that chefs use on TV, that I can hardly lift). A mandolin that I used once. Need I say more?!! Stuff has overtaken my life! I have seasonal wreaths, seasonal dishes and a giant artificial Christmas tree that I bought on line. It takes up a lot of room in the basement along with a kiln (from my pottery days) two bicycles etc. The first and last time I used my new bicycle, I fell off of it into a wheel barrow!! Leland thought that was hysterically funny and I DIDN'T! Whenever the children visit I plead with them to take something home. I am not a minimalist, I like my clutter! It's the English in me! But I am at the point now where we do not need eight sets of china (we hardly entertain any longer), and the latest kitchen doodads. And, how many platters does one need? The short of it is, I need to cut down on STUFF! But folks, don't bet on it!

When we lived in Berlin some lady friends and I would go to the Polish market at 5:00am. We would buy crystal until the police came and ran the sellers off the lot. As a result I bought many decanters, bowls etc. that at the time I thought I couldn't live without. I gave the majority of the pieces away. At the grand bazaar in Istanbul I bought copper pieces up the ying yang. I sold them at a consignment shop. I realized to keep that stuff looking nice one has to polish it! I gave up on that!! In France I bought Santon dolls. I just had to have them! I sold them on ebay. I still have scarves and shawls from Toulouse. Presently I am collecting hats! I do wear them.

I truly wish now that I saved the money instead of buying stuff I couldn't live without! The moral of the story is, don't buy anything you DON'T NEED because the kids really don't want our stuff! They have their own stuff now! I am now hunting for pretty tablecloths. I NEED them!

NOVEL RECOMMENDATION; "HIDDEN ORDER" by Brad Thor (I have read all of his books)

Another retro RECIPE:

CARAMELIZED ONION TART:

3 lbs Vidalia onions sliced
2 Tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 package puff pastry
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
garnish with fresh rosemary sprigs

Cook onion in hot oil of a large skillet over low hear, stirring often 30-35 minutes until onion is caramel in colored. Stir in salt, and set mixture aside.
Unfold pastry, fit into a 9 inch square tart pan.
Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until browned.
Remove from oven. Press pastry with the back of a spoon to flatten. Top with caramelized onions, sprinkle with parmesan. Bake 5 more minutes.
Garnish if desired
Note: I usually double the recipe an use a sheet pan.

Well, I'll sign off for now! Have a good weekend

2 comments:

  1. How is it that Greg is on the other side if the spectrum and I inherited ALL the clutter-collecting personality?! -Laura

    ReplyDelete