Wednesday, October 23, 2013

MT. TREMPER

I have previously mentioned that my family summered in the Catskills.  I'd like to expand on our visits there.  My parents and two Aunts rented a house from the Pflugers. They had a son named Alan. Her first name was Betsy but Mr. Fluger's eludes me.  They had two homes, both painted yellow perched upon a hilltop. To get there one drove straight up a gravel road. Across the street was a swimming "hole" surrounded by rock. The water was clear, very deep and on occasion cold.  My cousins (Bob and John Lyons) and I spent many hours there having a great and wholesome time. When my dad would come up on the weekends he would take us fishing.

The backyards behind the houses was level and surrounded by berry bushes. We picked  blackberries, raspberries etc to be used in pies (if there were enough left over from our snitching them out of the basket). Sometimes we would go into the village of Mt. Tremper and browse. My mother did the majority of the cooking. Aunt Gertrude, Aunt Vivian and her husband, Jack (who also came up on the weekends) were the other inhabitants.  Cocktail hour was promptly at five.

One Friday evening, Betsy P. was waiting for the arrival of her husband (you know the nameless one) and she heard someone on the front porch. When she opened the door she was greeted by a BEAR! She slammed the door! That episode became a well repeated story.

One day my sister who was two and a half years old at the time apparently decided to take a stroll down the driveway, at the end of which was a busy road.  Also keep in mind that we were surrounded by woods. Mom and all were frantic! We ran down the hill and there was Carole-Anne going her merry way. Mom caught her just as she was about to cross the road to go to the swimming hole. Another story to tell.

It was and I am sure still a beautiful part of New York State. I have so many fond memories of summers spent at Mt. Tremper. But, as all good things come to an end, so did our trips to the mountains. But what wonderful memories I have stored up.

Instead of a reading recommendation I am going to suggest starting a journal of your own with memories you have mentally compiled from your past.  This will help your children and grandchildren  to get to know the younger you.  Perhaps some of you have already done that. Hurray!

I don't recall who gave me this recipe. But they wrote "great" 5-27-06. Let's try it together!

SPICY THAI SALAD
Two cups chicken (use pre-roasted)
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
One cup shredded carrots
1/2 cup peanuts
One package, cooked Udon noodles
Spicy peanut vinaigrette

Toss together all ingredients
Serve chilled

Every time I think I have run out of ideas for this blog I get inspired with another remembrance. Unfortunately, lots of times these come to me in the middle of the night. I truly wish that my mind would be as active during the day. Oh well, at least it still works! The weekend is fast approaching. See I told you that "Time Flies"!  Have a good one!


No comments:

Post a Comment