Thursday, October 10, 2013

LARSON

Leland was born in Grundy Center, Iowa. When he was 11 his dad, Jordan L. Larson, and mother, Mildred (nee Thorson), moved to Mt. Vernon, New York.  The year was 1946. Leland's dad had been hired to be the superintendent of schools. He held that position until 1965. Prior to the move he was in the Army Air Force. Eventually the Army and the Air Force became separate entities. It just so happened that the Larsons' moved to Hutchinson Blvd and lived four houses away from the Wood family. The front stoop of the house was where Leland and I began our "courtship". I adored "Mom Larson"! Her family originated in Norway as did "Dad" Larsons'. My mother and Mildred were friends. Leland, Greg, Laura and I had the good fortune to meet a family cousin on a Norwegian island called Finnoy. The island produced flowers and was absolutely beautiful. We had such a lovely visit.

When Laura was in high school we took in an exchange student, Christian Laupsa from Norway. He spent the school year with us. We took him on many trips so he could get a feel for how lovely the USA is. We went to New York City, Las Vegas etc. We were invited by his family to visit and so we traveled there, this time with Jennifer, her husband Bud and Laura. The Laupsas' were gracious hosts.

Leland's dad passed away at the age of 75, but his mother lived to be 95. She had all of her faculties and a great sense of humor. She grew up on a farm in Iowa which proved to be helpful as she managed  the family farm when her husband was serving his country during World War II.  She was a school teacher before her marriage. She was very dear to me. And, she said that I was very dear to her. I truly loved her. She was a wonderful mother to her four children, Jordan, Jeanne, Marilyn and the baby of the family, Leland.  Sadly, she lost her two oldest children, Jordan in Dec. 2nd, l995 and Jeanne (Griewe) Feb. of 1996. Mom passed away in Nov. of 1996 here in Cumming, Ga.  That was a very tough time for Leland and the entire family. Laura never met either of her two grandfathers but happily was able to spend time with both her grandmothers.

When I was younger it never occurred to me to ask my parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles questions about their childhoods and backgrounds; about their hopes and fears and tales from their childhood days. Then, I could have shared them with our children.  I want all the children to know how important it is to know their history. I feel deprived now and a sadness that I didn't have the foresight to ask. We are all a product of our genetics and environments. This blog is my way to share some stories, some history. I hope you all can relate and will take the time to tell your children and grandchildren about your youth, family traditions, folk lore etc.

One of my all-time favorite books" THE PILLARS OF THE EARTH" by KEN FOLLETT

If you are like me, you are already looking and planning ahead to the holidays. The following is a delicious punch to serve during the holidays.

CHAMPAGNE PUNCH

One (12oz) frozen lemonade thawed (concentrate)
One (12oz) frozen orange juice thawed (concentrate)
One (12oz) frozen limeade thawed (concentrate)
One  (two liter) gingerale, chilled
One (two liter) champagne, chilled

Mix juice concentrate in a punch bowl. (DO NOT ADD WATER). Stir in gingerale. Add champagne. DO NOT STIR.  Champagne and gingerale must be equal. Add fruit ring that has been frozen.Serves  bunch of people.


No comments:

Post a Comment