Saturday, October 19, 2013

TRADITIONS

When I was a little girl my mother and I would take a train into Manhattan from Mt. Vernon, N.Y.  We would meet my Aunt Helen, mom's half sister, at Grand Central Station. She lived in New Jersey.  We would have lunch at Davey's, a seafood restaurant, then go and see a play. This was a Saturday ritual for many years.  Sometimes we would alternate and go to a museum or just window shop along fifth avenue but we always ate at Davey's.  Another family tradition was when my parents' would take me to see the annual Christmas show at Radio City Music Hall, the huge Christmas tree at Rockerfeller Plaza and the beautifully decorated Saks Fifth Avenue and Macy's department store windows. At a certain point in my early teenage years, friends and I would travel to the city on our own.  New York City was exciting to youngsters from the suburbs.  Times Square was neon lights and a totally different world.

Sundays were a time for my parents' with their daughters in tow to visit friends or family. We often visited  family in New Jersey on my mothers side. ( By the way, just to include in the record, my mother's maiden name was;  Galisson.  On our trip with her to Czechoslavkia we found, near the Austrian border a cemetery with tombstones with Galisson on them. Obviously, distant relatives were entombed there). And often, trips to see Aunts and Uncles on my dad's side. But mostly, as previously stated people came to our house. Mom filled up the dining room table with all sorts of goodies. The conversation flowed and a merry time was had by all.  Christmas was the best holiday of all with Easter a close second.  One year I remember that the only thing I truly wanted were ice skates. I was so disappointed when they weren't under the tree. After a while, my mom asked me to take something out of the oven. When I opened the oven door there was this large package in there. I tore open the wrapping and discovered my very own ice skates!  Easter was the time to hunt for all the hidden treasures mom and dad had hidden throughout the house. Mom made a list to make sure that we found everything.

Ever since Laura was born our family tradition is for Leland to read "The Night Before Christmas" to her on Christmas Eve. Even at 29 she will sit on her daddy's lap and he will read to her from the original book. One Christmas we bought her a copy of the book so that hopefully she will carry on the tradition. Leland also recorded it in a Hallmark gift book. She was so overcome with emotion when he gave it to her. I know Laura will always cherish his gift. With Gregory we started the tradition that he could open up one gift from out of town on Christmas Eve and that continued until both Greg and Laura became adults.

I think it is so important to have traditions that are passed down through the generations. Going to church on Christmas Eve,  serving the same meal every Christmas or for Seder etc. Traditions create memories. I know that I personally, have wonderful memories of the past.

BOOK: Establish a story book, i.e. "The Night Before Christmas" etc to read to your grandchildren to celebrate your holiday.

BAKED BRIE IN PUFFED PASTRY WITH RASPBERRY PRESERVES

1/2 PACKAGE FROZEN PUFF PASTRY
ONE (8 OZ PACKAGE BRIE CHEESE ROUND. (Costco is a good place to buy brie)
1/8 CUP TOASTED ALMOND, SLICES (OPTIONAL)
1/4 CUP RASPBERRY PRESERVES (CAN REPLACE WITH APRICOT, LIGONBERRY  ETC.)

DIRECTIONS;
PREHEAT OVEN TO 425 DEGREES
LIGHTLY GREASE COOKIE SHEET
ROLL PUFF PASTRY OUT SLIGHTLY
PLACE CHEESE WHEEL ON TOP (LEAVE RIND ON)
PLACE PRESERVES ON TOP OF CHEESE
PLACE ALMONDS  (IF USING) ON TOP OF PRESERVES
BUNDLE PUFF  PASTRY UP AND AROUND THE CHEESE
BAKE FOR 20-25 MINUTES
LET COOL FOR FIVE MINUTES
SERVE WITH YOUR FAVORITE CRACKERS



1 comment:

  1. Thank you immensely for sharing your precious childhood memories and experiences...now THAT is a good read! XO ( a big kiss & hug are heading your way)

    ReplyDelete