Saturday, December 28, 2013

EVENTS

I vividly remember three events that marked me for life. When I was just a three year old toddler my family and I were at Jones Beach on Long Island.  We were at the edge of the sandy beach near the waters edge when a huge wave with an under tow pulled me under; gasping for breath my Dad saved me.  But, it took the joy out of swimming in the ocean and to this day (when I am willing to put this aging body in a bathing suit) I much prefer swimming pools. There are no sharks or other nasty things lurking in the deep and no under tow.


When I was about five or so I had my tonsils removed. It is still so real to me! Those were the days when ether was used as an anesthesia. This black thing came down and covered my nose and mouth. To this day I can't stand to have my nose and mouth covered. Yes, radiation treatment was a trial. Also it made future attempts at scuba diving or snorkeling  definitely out of the question.  Leland is a qualified scuba diver but fortunately he too is not a beach lover. When the dental hygienist cleans my teeth I won't even let her put that covering over my face. So what that the spray ruins my make-up! I can re-apply! Isn't it strange how we are effected by what took place in our earlier days. We are all products of our environments and our genetics.


When I was ten I went to bed sucking on a Werthers butterscotch candy. I accidentally swallowed it and it got stuck in my windpipe.  Terrified and unable to catch my breath I ran to my Dad.  At that time the heimlich procedure was unknown.  Daddy turned me upside down and held me by my feet and tapped on my back. That culprit came flying out and all was well. I think you know me by now - eating candy in bed is a big no-no.  As you can tell, my Dad was my hero and such a wonderful role model. All of the family remember him for being a wonderful Husband, Dad, Grandfather, Uncle and Brother. With a great deal of patience he taught all of the children to play chess. I miss you, Daddy. We all miss you. Tomorrow will be the 31st anniversary of his death. But that date is also to be celebrated as the first anniversary of my Nephew, Justin and his Wife, Kristen. Happy Anniversary, Dear Ones. Grandpa would be thrilled for you!


But just as I bare the scars from those three  experiences I too recall so many happy memories. I remember Mom and Dad taking my Sister and I to Washington, D. C. and as a family seeing the sights and visiting the Smithsonian. How very fascinating! I also loved going to Williamsburg on more than one occasion. I related to those days and fantasized about the idea of living in those times. Except of course, for the lack of decent plumbing and good dental care that style of home and gardening is so appealing. The furniture and porcelain is "right up my alley". The multitude of conversations that took place in one of these homes would have been so intellectually stimulating and informative concerning the course of history. I hope that school books stay true to the actual history of our country and the government obeys THE CONSTITUTION. Our founding fathers knew what they were doing!!


I am making a New Year's resolution for the first time in years (other than watching my diet) and that is, God willing, to be more active in helping others. Micki and I hope to help out at our local hospice. And, I want to be more aware of people in our community who would love to just sit down with a cup of tea and have a little chat. It is the very least I can do with all the wonderful support I have gotten this past year. And, it doesn't take much time to send a get well card or to deliver a meal for a house bound neighbor.

BREAD PUDDING WITH BOURBON SAUCE
One loaf french bread torn into bits and pieces
One quart whole milk
Four eggs, well beaten
Two cups sugar
Two tablespoons vanilla extract
One teaspoon almond extract
Three tablespoons butter
3/4 cup raisins
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Combine milk with eggs, vanilla, sugar, almond extract and nutmeg. combine bread with mixture. Saturate well. Melt butter in a heavy rectangle dish. Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes or until center is firm. Cut into individual servings and serve warm or hot with bourbon sauce.

Bourbon Sauce
One stick butter
One cup sugar
One egg, well beaten
1/4 cup bourbon
Heat butter and sugar in a double boiler until sugar is dissolved and mixture is very hot. Remove from heat. Add egg and whisk very fast so egg does not scramble. Add bourbon. Let cool. Pour over individual servings of bread pudding. Serves 10-12.

To each and every reader I wish you a Happy and Healthy 2014.






No comments:

Post a Comment