Wednesday, December 11, 2013

SHARING

When we went to Bethlehem and viewed the manger where Jesus was born and waded in the Jordan River in Israel I felt a real connection to the true meaning of Christmas. But, mostly I think that it is so important to be aware that there are children in our very own communities that won't be visited by Santa. Instead of a huge smile on Christmas morning there will be little ones with disappointment on their faces and tears in their eyes.  It is to those children that we should reach out. We want their Christmas to be special and memorable due to the thoughtfulness and generosity of others.

Terry McCarthy, a friend and neighbor organizes and delivers to the local firehouse on Carolene Way, Cumming, GA unwrapped toys every year.  All the local fire departments are set up to receive toys for the local children.  She and her Husband Don, a meal on wheels and hospital volunteer give freely of themselves so other lives are improved. They exemplify the meaning of volunteerism. They have hearts of gold!  Today was our holiday luncheon with sixty- six of us in attendance. We each brought a gift (s) so that, hopefully, we can make a little ones Christmas joyful, merry and one to remember. It is not too late to contribute. One of our favorite charities is The Salvation Army. They truly see to the needs of others. Many volunteers stand out in the cold in front of stores looking for donations. Every bit helps. 

If I could wish for anything, I would wish for peace on earth and happiness and good health for all. The world would be so much better if we could accept one another, faults and all. None of us are perfect but most of us do the best we can. For myself I have decided I will try and do much more for my fellow human beings, God willing. I truly have so many blessings that I am thankful for and I look forward to a future where I think less about myself, my trials and tribulations and more about my fellow travelers  in life. One can only hope that little by little charity becomes second nature; giving and sharing a natural instinct. We can do it! I have in faith in ALL of us!  Love to all, Arlene

PAVLOVA an Australian dessert
4 egg whites at room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 tablespoon cornstarch

Filling:
Heavy cream whipped or ice cream
Fresh fruit in season

Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Beat egg whites until they begin to hold their shape. Gradually add sugar, beating constantly, until egg whites are thick and glossy. Fold in vinegar, vanilla and cornstarch. Mound meringue on a cookie sheet in a circle, indenting with the back of a spoon, making it bowl shaped. Bake for 1 1/2 hours at 250 degrees, turn off oven and allow meringue to dry out in cooling oven. Place meringue on a serving plate and fill with whipped cream (my preference). Top with fresh fruit (raspberries, kiwis etc.) Very elegant presentation.


No comments:

Post a Comment