Saturday, December 7, 2013

PLUM BLOSSOM CHICKEN

On September 19, 1982 I locked my cottage door, hopped in my little Subaru and headed south to the JFK Airport to pick up a gentleman I hadn't seen in many years. We had, of course, spoken on the telephone and had arranged to meet. I was all dressed up in my finest! I was, however, very nervous about the upcoming reunion with Leland T. Larson. Leland gave me explicit instructions to locate him at the lower level of the Pan Am building. I didn't know whether I would recognize him or even worse, if he would  recognize me. My heart was beating so hard when I parked the car and waited. Then, lo and behold, Leland came strolling out of the building, handsome as ever, saw me, came over and gave me a big hug. All was well! We fell into our easy friendship and the conversation flowed so easily and naturally. I didn't take long to fall madly in love when I discovered what a kind, thoughtful and decent man Leland was and, of course, still is.

I had told my Parents' that Leland was visiting and they too were excited to see him after all these many years. They remembered him as a child and then as a young adult.  It was a marvelous weekend!  We also visited with childhood friends, Waldine and Pete Peckham and Tony Donati.  Daddy would pass away in December but he knew that I was happy and that all would be well. Leland was so kind to my Parents' and spent a lot of time visiting with them on his future visits.  He was concerned about Dad, of course, and was so glad to have the chance to see him once again.

 I married the "love of my life" on March 5, 1983. I hope Daddy knows how truly happy I have been for the past thirty years and that he now has a wonderful Granddaughter, Laura Wood Larson, who along with his three Grandsons' would make him very proud.

I can remember very vividly my Mother saying that "when one door closes another one opens". How right she was.  I got another chance at happiness and for that I am so grateful.

I am trying to work up enthusiasm to get our Christmas cards written. Right now it seems like such a tedious job. But, I do want to remember family and friends at this joyous time of year. Tomorrow is the Christmas program so I know that the songs etc. will put me in the Christmas spirit. Now if my poor arthritic plus carpal tunnel hands will cooperate! Woe is me - here I am whining again!

You are probably wondering about the weird title of this post. Well, the recipe for Plum Blossom Chicken is the very first meal I cooked for Leland during his initial visit. I found out later he is not a big fan of plums (among other fruits) but he managed to eat it all up. The recipe is from San Francisco Ala Carte, published in1979. There are numerous recipes in there that are winners. If you can find it on Amazon I guarantee you will enjoy many of the recipes. It is a Junior League of San Francisco cookbook. I also have the follow-up but the original is far superior.

PLUM BLOSSOM CHICKEN
Six large whole chicken halved
Two tablespoons butter
One teaspoon curry powder
1/2 cup plum jam
1/4 cup cream sherry
One lemon, thinly sliced

In heavy skillet, brown chicken pieces in butter, stir curry into pan juices. Blend plum jam and sherry and pour over chicken. Cover each piece with 1 to 2 pieces of lemon, cover skillet and simmer for 35 to 40 minutes. Remove chicken to heated serving platter and keep warm. Boil pan juices to reduce slightly, spoon over chicken and serve with rice. Bon Appetit!

I hope I can, among the hustle and bustle find the time to write another blog, but if not I wish one and all good health and much happiness in the forthcoming year. Much love, Arlene








No comments:

Post a Comment