Wednesday, December 4, 2013

HELLO AGAIN!

Our weather of late has been misty and gloomy! Over the Thanksgiving holiday the Georgia mountains had snow! Normally I wouldn't mind a tiny bit of snow on Christmas day but Laura and Joe have to drive back to North Carolina later that day. Joe has to be back at work the next day and we are driving Jennifer and Bud to the airport on the 26th. Let me clarify that - Leland with me sitting in the passenger seat will be driving them to the airport! Yes, I miss not driving and the loss of independence. Boo hoo!

I thought my menu was intact for the holidays but I keep changing my mind. I continue pouring through cookbooks and I keep finding new ideas. All the baking I planned will not take place as I know I will end up eating the sweet stuff and now with high glucose all that good stuff is a no-no. Leland has lost ten pounds and is shunning sweets. Dear man that he is even brought a doggie bag home from the restaurant last night. I cleaned up my plate! If looks could kill! When am I going to reach that point when I bring home food? I keep telling myself that I look gaunt when I lose weight and  things start to sag even more so it's necessary to plump up a little. Whose kidding who!? At what age does one's stomach shrink? Certainly mine should have by now!

We went to an appetizer and wine party at a friends home and had such a good time and the decision was made to make this a monthly event. A marvelous idea! It is so nice to socialize with old friends.   Someone brought the most delicious Vidalia onion dip. I am including it here because I thought it was even better than the one I mentioned on an earlier blog. 

One Vidalia onion chopped
One cup mayo
One cup shredded fresh parmesan cheese
This recipe can be doubled or tripled simply by increasing each item
Mix all ingredients together pour into a pie plate and heat in oven for about 15 minutes or until bubbly.


We are going along with many other neighbors to the Redeemer Church to attend a Christmas program. It has become an annual event. I go loaded with tissues because some of the songs make me cry. This year will be especially poignant. Maybe I should just bring the box. This is the church where we go for weekly Wednesday night dinner with friends. The food is usually good but we mostly  enjoy dining with our friends. The guys sit at one round table and the women at another. The talk is lively and fun and the jokes flow. I know that sounds rather inappropriate but we do laugh a lot. I think the guys talk politics and sports and quite possibly tell a joke or two because I do hear them laughing.

Needless to say we are so excited that we have family coming for Christmas. Thanksgiving was rather lonely. Leland and I have bison burgers at Ted's Montana grill and then made the poor decision to hit the stores. As I said, lesson learned.

Greg is coming over for dinner tonight and to help his Dad connect this thing-a -m-giggy to our computer. Actually Leland bought a phonograph player so that he can then transfer his old big records to the computer. Sounds very high tech to me. Unfortunately, I am extremely technically challenged.

It is mid week already and the weekend is fast approaching. Stay cool, calm and collected - just like me! That's a big ha ha!







2 comments:

  1. I was so hoping there would be a time before Christmas I could come see you guys, but the holidays are already so packed! I'll just have to be content reading your excellent blog! Love and miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate Sweetie, You are welcome any time. Happy birthday to your wonderful Mom. Thank you so much for the encouraging phone call. You are so much a member of our family. We love you!

    ReplyDelete