Friday, December 27, 2013

TILL NEXT YEAR

Christmas is over, our guests have departed and I am ready to defrock the house. Nay says my beloved Husband who has trimmed our house to the hilt. His marvelous display is the talk of the neighborhood and rightfully so. It looks beautiful! Our massive Christmas tree takes up a lot of room and is a daily reminder that I am in charge of putting all the decorations away. Oh well, it will all get done eventually before Andrea and our Grandson, Nicholas arrive and Laura and Joe return so we can all celebrate Laura's 30th birthday.

I incorporated a lot of my blog recipes in our holiday celebration: shrimp and artichoke casserole served with basmati rice,  peach crunch, dump cake and for brunch the english breakfast of yorkshire pudding over Joneses link sausage. They were all winners! I made a pork roast with herbes de provence, garlic powder, fresh sage and rosemary surrounded by roasted potatoes and onions. I served this with zucchini patties. The condiments were apple sauce, ligonberry spread for the pork and sour cream for the patties. All of the above were quick and easy to prepare. My kind of recipes!

A Christmas Eve tradition was fulfilled when Leland read "The Night Before Christmas" to Jennifer and Laura. Our Christmas was peaceful and joyful. All of us went to see the new Walt Disney movie, "FROZEN" on Christmas Eve day and we all loved it.  If you get a chance please see it. It truly is for the young AND old.

I am happy to report that everyone loved their gifts so there will be no returns. Thanks to Laura and Kate I got some fabulous new cookbooks which I will enjoy reading and marking down recipes I just might like to try. Laura and Joe left around two pm so they were then able to spend the remainder of Christmas Day with Joe's family. They are all looking forward to their upcoming trip to Hawaii. Aloha!

Unfortunately we did receive some sad news. Our dear friend, John Rutherford passed away Christmas night surrounded by his family. Please keep Mary (my kindergarten friend) and her family in your prayers. Mary and John were married for fifty-four blissful years. Stay strong dear Mary and my Sister and I will see you in the spring.

Now, of course, 2014 is fast approaching and needless to say Leland and I wish all of you good health and happiness in the New Year. We personally look forward to seeing more family (June and John you are indeed included in that definition) and hopefully from a personal standpoint, a status quo report for me. And, wouldn't it be wonderful to turn on the news and see good things happening.

I am currently reading: "KING AND MAXWELL" by David Baldacci. He is one of my favorite authors.

CHEWY PEANUT BUTTER BARS
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1 - 1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup flour
2 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
In a large saucepan, melt the butter and peanut butter. Remove from the heat; add sugar and flour. Stir in the eggs and vanilla. Spread into a greased 13 inch by 9 inch baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 28-32 minutes until lightly browned and edges start to pull away from sides of the pan. Yield: 2 dozen.
Great to make and/or serve to your grandchildren!

I looking forward to writing to you in the New Year. Leland and I intend to stay home and if we can stay awake watch the ball drop in Times Square.

No comments:

Post a Comment