Saturday, December 14, 2013

BETTER HALF

This is a short post today as I am trying to get my Christmas cards done. The house is decorated and the menu is finalized (I think) so once the cards are done maybe I can relax and enjoy the season and my latest new book by Ann Purser,  We are so excited to be joined by Jennifer and Bud, Laura and Joe this Christmas. What fun!

I just want to tell you how truly blessed I feel to be surrounded by so much love. Our family and friends have been absolutely marvelous these many months. But, the one steadfast person in my life, is my wonderful Husband, Leland.  I could not have gotten through the surgery, radiation treatments and all the doctors' appointments that  having a brain tumor has entailed, without him.  Every morning at 8:30 am Leland wakes me and hands me a glass of water along with my required pills, with a big smile on his face.  If I need to go somewhere he takes me without complaint. He comforts me when I feel a tad blue and he still tells me how lovely I look. When I came home from surgery he attended to my head which was filled with staples, helped bath me and did all the necessary things to make my life easier. He is without a doubt the BEST. I hope all of the children realize what a VERY special person their Father is. I just bet they do!

I feel badly for people who do not have that special person in their life to make being ill, just a bit easier. Honestly, none of us know what is in store for us and perhaps we are better off not knowing. I am learning to live each day finding enjoyment in something. That doesn't mean everything is wonderful but it does mean that I have so very much to be thankful for.  For the most part I am the happiest sitting side by side with Leland, reading, watching television or as we are doing now, writing Christmas cards. Our wonderful black German shepherd, Reagan is lying on the floor at Leland's feet. That's true contentment! And just as special is the time we spend with our friends who always make me laugh, or they just take the time to listen, even when they too are trying to cope with the ups and downs of life. Thank you!

Let's all take a breather from this hectic time, to collect ourselves but mostly to be thankful for all our blessings and remember the real meaning of Christmas. Love to each and every one of you, Arlene

I just made this recipe today to tuck in Christmas tins as a little house gift. It comes from David Rocco's Dolce Vita cookbook.

ALMOND BRITTLE

3 CUPS SUGAR
UP TO 1/2 WATER (optional but I did use water)
4 CUPS ALMONDS (I bought the large bags at Costco)

Heat up your pot over high heat and add the sugar. Keep stirring You will see that it begins to sweat and liquefy. Add a bit of water if you think it needs help. Keep cooking and stirring until the sugar is completely liquefied and turns a rich deep brown. Now in go the almonds. Mix really well to make sure they are fully coated. Cook it all together in the pot for a few minutes, stirring constantly so it doesn't stick, until the almonds are toasted. Remove the pot from the heat and working quickly, pour the hot almond mixture onto a cookie sheet to the desired thickness. Let it cool about a half hour, then break it up into smaller pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment