Monday, December 2, 2013

USA

Our weekend was uneventful and that is a good thing. With the holidays here for some of us and Christmas fast approaching our calendar is starting to fill up. Our "to do" and grocery lists are getting longer by the minute. I want to take a moment here to repeat my Mom's saying "do a little, sit a little". Believe me the diversion of reading, chatting with a friend or watching a little TV is a good thing. I find, at this age that I get what I call a "sinking spell" between three and four in the afternoon and have to have a lie down. Sometimes this happens during bridge but I find that I am not the only one yawning away.  I really am not a youngster any longer!

I remember many years ago, going to Durgin-Park restaurant in Boston. It was upstairs in an older building. I know at one point they had a fire and I truly don't know if they rebuilt. It was a boarding house style restaurant and the waitresses' were old and cantankerous, but that was part of the charm. Plus the food was delicious. I will include a recipe from there later. Boston, is one of those charming cities with lots of history and fine dining. I always enjoyed visiting there. Many years ago Filene's basement was located there. It was filled with bargains and on a daily basis it was a shopping haven for many. On the downside it didn't have any changing rooms so people tossed their inhibitions aside and tried on articles of clothing in the aisles.  I think that many a voyeur strolled through!

In San Francisco, Union Square was a popular shopping area. When we were there many years ago I found a cute little yellow dress at Saks Fifth Avenue. It was dearly priced but Leland bought it for me. I loved it! It is hanging in an  upstairs closet and much too small for me now (29 years later) but I would never part with it.  Shopping was not our only excursion; we loved eating at Fishermens' Wharf!

The Napa Valley in California is one of my most favorite places on earth. I have spent many lovely times there, sampling wine (now a BIG no-no), and just driving around the countryside. My Parents' were also enamored with the area. We also spent many hours touring Carmel, Monterey, etc. California has so much to offer in scenic beauty but unfortunately it has changed drastically in other ways and not for the better. But, the beauty is still there in all its glory.

In Billings, Montana at a little breakfast restaurant Leland and I each ate the biggest pancake we have ever seen! We marveled at  the bison in the South Dakota National Park, Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse ( they were still carving him out of a mountain), the Grand Canyon, Santa Fe, Taos and other wonderful attractions in the west. It is a majestic country that we live in

The United States, folks, and all its grandeur is the best place on earth. Yellowstone Park is on our bucket list so hopefully we will go there one day. We have been privileged to see a great deal of this country (traveled the old Route 66 many moons ago) and we look forward to seeing more and storing up more memories.

I promised you a recipe from Durgin-Park so here it is:


INDIAN PUDDING
3 cups milk
1/4 cup black molasses
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup yellow corn meal
vanilla ice cream

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees
Mix together 1 1/2 cups of the milk with the molasses, sugar, butter and baking powder, egg and cornmeal. Pour the mixture into a stone crock (or baking dish) that has been well greased and bake until it boils.
Heat the remaining 1 1/2 cup milk and stir it in.
Lower the temperature to 300 degrees and bake 5 to 7 hours.
Serve warm with scoops of vanilla ice cream on top.
It's truly a winner!

Catherine Coulter has a new book out called "THE FINAL CUT" It is the first in a new series.









No comments:

Post a Comment