Monday, December 16, 2013

NOEL

This is probably the most relaxing Christmas ever. I had all good intentions of being sophisticated and creative (remember my intention of going international?) in my gift selections. Well, I was reduced to taking the easy way out and getting gift cards. I did purchase some lovely stocking stuffers and some wee surprises. I rationalized that they are very practical gifts and easily sent by mail. I remember the days of yore (really not that long ago) when one year I crocheted ponchos for all the girls and another year when I needlepointed footstools for each and every one. One year I bought colored duffle bags (green, purple etc) and colored coordinated everything and packed the items in the duffle bags - what was I thinking? I made necklaces and bracelets one holiday. And, of course, there were the cookbook journals that I hand wrote. These gift were always accompanied by some lovely non-crafty surprises. Those were my crafty days, long since gone.

As a child in Mt Vernon, N.Y. many of us, young and old would go to a vacant lot and sing Christmas carols on Christmas Eve.  An annual and very cold event. We had a marvelous time despite the weather and ended up drinking hot chocolate at someone's home. We would also go ice skating on the local frozen pond and sledding down Hillcrest Road during the winter months. What a fun and innocent childhood we had. I vividly remember my Mom always fussing over a gift for the school bus driver, Mr. Weber. He was the nicest man and my Mother gave him gifts every holiday because she was thankful to him for keeping her daughter safe and sound. I remember my physical ed teacher, Mrs. Swan who built up my confidence even though I could never do the rope climbing. I remember being the drum majorette in sixth grade at Lincoln School. I felt ever so proud! I could go on and on but what I am trying to say in a very round-about way is that it was a time when there were no drugs, peer pressure and no distinction between the have and the have nots.  If these existed I wasn't aware of them - thank goodness.

I remember going to a girl scout camp when I was around ten years old and thoroughly enjoying it even though it was my first time being away from home. I later became a camp counselor and loved every minute of it. Looking back,  because of this blog is such fun. I am remembering things I thought I had forgotten. Mostly, I want my children to know that growing up decades ago was far different than now. I am not saying it was better but I am saying it was different.

Leland was a "soda jerk" ( what a terrible description) at the local drugstore. Because I had such a massive crush on him, I would sashay a mile up the street walking parallel to the stream on Hutchinson Blvd to get an ice cream. It's a wonder I didn't put on a lot of weight. Of course, the walk, to and fro helped. My traditional order was a scoop of coffee ice cream with either caramel or marshmallow sauce on top - absolutely yummy! An ice cream cone made with Breyers was ten cents. Those were the days. Leland and I are both ice cream lovers so we try not to buy it any longer because we have absolutely no willpower, whatsoever, when it comes to hot fudge sundaes etc.

MARY RUTHERFORD'S SAUSAGE DIP

One package Jimmy Dean sausage with sage
One 8 ounce cream cheese, softened
One can 10 ounce Rotel diced tomatoes with green chilis
Brown and drain sausage. Mix all and bake at 350 until hot. Serve with "Scoops" Fabulous!

CHAMPAGNE PUNCH

One (12 ounce) frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
One (12 ounce) frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
One (12 ounce) frozen limeade concentrate, thawed
One (2 liter) gingerale chilled
One (2 liter) champagne
Mix juice concentrate in punch bowl (do not add water)
Stir in gingerale then add champagne (DO NOT STIR AFTER ADDING)

Add fruit ring. Note: Gingerale and champagne must be equal
Easy and delicious!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS  AND LOVE TO ALL!


No comments:

Post a Comment