Friday, January 31, 2014

MEMORY LANE

In the early fifties friends and I would sometimes go to the local roller rink on a Friday night and in our poodle skirts would skate the night away to live organ music. Sometimes we would go to the local movie theatre, after eating Crystal hamburgers. The theatre was a go to place to catch up on war news, see cartoons and then a film. At home I would listen to the radio: "The Shadow ",  "Fibber and Molly McGee" ", 'The Inner Sanctum" etc., while snuggled up in bed. Then television came to the Wood family and we would gather together and watch Milton Berle, Arthur Godfrey etc. Progress! Ed Sullivan, Groucho Marx and his silly duck and others became favorite viewing. Remember Art Linkletter and those adorable children "out of the mouths of babes", What's My Line? Jackie Gleason? I could go on and on. What glorious days when a family gathered around the tiny TV, laughing hysterically. They were programs you could share with your young family.

Our family also ate at the dining room table every night and shared the day's news. When asked how my day was, my usual response was "fine". I was a teenager and not particularly communicative. Besides, we moved in my senior year of high school after being in the same school system my entire life. To finish up my junior year I was graciously asked to stay at Mary Rutherford's family home (Meyers') during the week. Dad would pick me up on Friday afternoons and bring me back on Sunday. This was about a six month schedule. Remember, my Grandfather passed away and life changed drastically. We all got through it and I completed high school at Harrison High School. Fortunately, I made friends and got back in the groove. But truthfully, it was a difficult time. And we lived "in the middle of nowhere with no public transportation. That's when I bought my first car, a green Henry J for $75.00. Unfortunately, my then current boyfriend, borrowed it, hit a curb and totaled it! Fortunately, he was not hurt but my car sure was. That was the end of our relationship! I loved that little car!

When our family, first moved to Purchase, New York (it abuts Greenwich, Connecticut), there was a polo field (now the headquarters of Pepsi), a steer farm (now a state university) and a golf course (still there). Our little house has been torn down with the pond and stone fence still standing as a reminder of those days. Manhattanville College is also located there. I remember the small stone library that also contained a nursery school where Gregory spent many a day.  His Father and I lived nearby in Rye Ridge and spent many hours at Mom and Dad's. In fact, they were the only babysitters Gregory ever had. I do miss those visits there with my Parents' and Sister and the trips to the garden where I loaded up on fresh corn and other organically (chicken poop from our wonderful neighbors "Aunt Minnie" and Uncle Charlie" who raised chickens and provided us with eggs) grown vegetables. "Uncle Wilbur" and "Aunt Clara" (Minnie's Sister) would also bring over home baked goodies. They watched me get married and then my little Sister. They were the best neighbors in the world. They adopted us as part of their family. Those days can never be duplicated but are fixed in my memory. I know that Gregory remembers fondly his visits there and playing chess with Grandpa. And, being on the dual swing with Grandma. He still chuckles about the time Grandma's side fell over and her legs went up in the air. They both laughed hysterically.

One year an adorable kitten found its way to our house. My Sister named her Pudder. She lived outside for many, many years. Somehow she got into the house one day and delivered kittens in my Dad's slippers inside their closet. Dad must have found homes for them but we still kept Pudder until one day she just disappeared at a very old age.  We missed her! One day Dad was driving me home from school and a rabbit ran across the road and Dad hit it. He stopped the car and got out to tend to the rabbit. Unfortunately, it was a fatal accident. I remember how sad my Dad was and knew that if he could have saved it, he would have. I also knew it bothered him so much even though it was unavoidable. But,  that was my Dad - always for the underdog. That's why running the camp for the underprivileged children made him so happy. In fact, that is where he met his lifelong friend, Jack ("Uncle" to C.A. and me}. He and his wife, Sophie ("Aunt") and children Jack and Donald became "family". I am still in touch with Jack, Jr. and his wife, Dorothy. Thank you for your prayers both of you.

Whenever we had guests Daddy would always ask me to play the piano. Truthfully, I was terrible and resisted my lessons but he loved "Danny Boy". Carole-Anne and I can remember Daddy singing it. We can't listen to that song without feeling very sad. Dad, a great golfer taught me to play the game. He was, in general, a lover of all sports, a chess player and a stamp and coin collector. We have a corner cupboard in our dining room that he made over 70 years ago. It has a place of honor. He was a wonderful furniture builder, butterfly collector and copper engraver. Sadly, those pieces are long gone. Dad was a New Yorker, but guess what - he loved listening to country music. Go figure! I fervently wish that he could have met his only Granddaughter, Laura. She and Greg both inherited his love of art. Also, he and Mom would have cherished and rejoiced in their Great-Grandson, Jack. The good news is we all got some of their wonderful genes!

BRIE PASTA

I take the rind off of a large round of Brie and cut into chunks.  Place chunks  in a large bowl with lots of cut up fresh basil and cut-up tomatoes (use the best). Keep at room temperature. (can be kept for hours). When ready, cook pasta such as linguini and add to bowl. Easy and delicious! Serve with crusty bread.

Have a wonderful weekend family and friends.  Love, Arlene

No comments:

Post a Comment