Monday, February 3, 2014

RYE RIDGE

When Gregory was nine months old, we moved to the Rye Ridge garden apartments in Port Chester, N.Y. The complex was basically filled with young couples and their young children. Most of our husbands commuted to New York City and most of us were on a slow track to buying our first homes. Bill, (now deceased) my first Husband and I made wonderful friends: Vivien and Bill (deceased)  Cord and their two children, Kenny and Curtis, Sue and Jim Maddock and their children, Greg and Lori, Faith and Jim Morrow (now residing in Palos Verdes, CA. and their two children (a third would be born in CA}. Fifty years later we are still friends! There were many other young couples with whom we lost touch.  None of us had a lot of money, so we made our own fun. Every weekend there would be fun themed parties some of which were spontaneous such as movie parties, costume and"come as you are". We had a ball! We would go camping at Cape Ann or in Vermont and to Bucks County, PA where we stayed at Sue's Parents' second home and went jet skiing. Our years at Rye Ridge were fabulous! We would pop-in to one anothers' homes' for coffee or take our babies' in strollers to Woolworths' and treat ourselves. Life was fun and for the most part uncomplicated. Things changed as gradually couples moved on, on their upward climb to success. I am indeed lucky to be in touch with Sue, Vivadiddle and Faith. We all remember those fabulous parties and sitting at the pool, chatting away.

I was fortunate that my Parents lived close-by. Mom loved to go to B. Altmans, a department store for lunch so off we would go. Later we would go to Bloomingdales for our outings because we loved their menu. Dad was also a big fan so would often join us along with my Sister. It was a wonderful and care-free few years there until we moved to Armonk. Happily, Sue and Jim became neighbors and Sue and I still laugh over some of our antics; our antique hunting, our luncheon in a hardware store that we happened upon, our trip to Nantucket with Carey where we stayed at that seedy hotel (we changed locations) and selling real estate together. Viv, now lives in Armonk. I see another visit in my future.

When we first arrived at Rye Ridge our downstairs neighbor was a widow and her two young children. Midge Parsons lost her Husband on the "THRESHER", a nuclear-powerd attack submarine in 1963. Midge later remarried and moved to Ohio. As sad as she was, she carried on with dignity and faith that all will be well.

Today I had the most touching experience at the Barnes & Noble Starbucks. I was there to get my daily addiction and to greet the very BEST Starbucks staff. Linda the leader handed me a card. The entire staff had written a personal message to me. I cried! It meant the world to me. They have all witnessed my struggle this past year and have been staunch supporters. They are dear to me and I wish them all well on their paths to success.  Thank you all and love, Arlene

I accidentally discovered a new author: G.  M. MALLIET and the Max Tudor mystery series. They are set in a small English village.  I completed the first in the series and on to the second. Great!!!

MUD PIE

i cup finely crushed chocolate wafers
1/4 cup melted butter or margarine
1 quart coffee ice cream
1/ cup canned hot fudge (chilled)
whipped cream
Combine crushed wafers and butter (oleo). Press into a 9 inch pie plate. Pat mixture halfway up sides. Put into the freezer until firm, about 15 minute. Remove and spread ice cream on top of frozen mixture, smoothing ice cream to form a rounded top. Place in freezer at least four hours. Before serving, spread chilled hot fudge over pie to 1/4 inch of edge of pie. Top with whipped cream.




2 comments:

  1. Hello from Sunny Isles Beach! We just read your blog together and enjoyed you sharing about the past and present :) We agree that it is important for us to hear and pass along the love stories created throughout our family tree. We love you and thank God for you everyday :) xoxoxoxo
    Love always,
    Andrea and Jacquelyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy that you both are enjoying the blogs. My memory works overtime. I remember meeting each of you individually. I also realize how very blessed I am to have all of you in my life. Your support and prayers have gotten me through a difficult situation. Keep on praying! We all know prayers work. Lov you so much, Nana and Arlene

      Delete