Wednesday, January 29, 2014

SNOW

I know that I have mentioned this before; we live in Georgia. You know the deep south! Well the only thing deep about it at the moment, is the deep snow. We are snowed in and if you have been watching the news, Atlanta has been deeply affected. Over a thousand accidents and for some, stuck in gridlock traffic for many, many hours. We do not own a shovel, sled, nor do we have boots!. To top it off our main furnace decided to quit. The fellow is coming tomorrow to "have a look". Having a "look" could be expensive. How do eskimos live in igloos?  Fortunately, I always have a pantry full of food and of late, I could  personally live off the newly accumulated fat I have recently put on, for some time. We are in good shape (food wise). I tell you, that nasty global warming. Mr. Gore how are things in Tahiti?

I just made myself a cup of tea with lemon and honey. I intend to get ahead of getting a chill. I am layered up in clothing and so at the moment I am toasty warm. Laura and Joe are now getting the weather we are experiencing and so Laura's school was cancelled but Joe successfully made it to work. Now if Greg will let me know where he is I can relax a bit for awhile. I don't have to worry about the children in Florida but I do wonder how Victoria and family are doing? Let me know! I guess we never stop worrying about our loved ones. It just comes with the territory of being a Parent.

Don't you just hate it, when your favorite TV programs are pre-empted by some political hyperbole or if the weather knocks the satellite out? I surely am getting grumpy in my old age. Looking on the bright side, we still have electricity. And then I think that there are people out there living homeless or in very undesirable conditions. God bless them, and keep them warm and safe! We will get back to normal but for others their conditions will not change. If you are thinking of making a donation in this New Year, think about The Salvation Army. I mentioned before that they are a selfless organization. I think we are all grateful for what and who we have in our lives. So, at times like this it is important to help others.

Mary Rutherford checked up on me today. She lost her beloved Husband, John on Christmas night. She is staying busy with her various organizations,  (PEO, canasta group etc.) and even had a small dinner party the other night. She is  basically  putting "one foot in front of the other" so she can move forward. But on days like this, being snowbound and alone makes her sad. I don't blame her, but I am so proud of her progress. She married at 18 and has always had John by her side. Mary, stay strong!

Life gets muddled at times. We (meaning me) concentrate on the mundane sometimes and that is not helpful. I just ordered a new book on Amazon about conquering stress. "The Mayo Guide to Stress Free Living" in paperback by Amit Sood. I'll let you know what I think. In the meantime, stay snuggled with some nice hot cocoa. After I finish my tea that will be my next treat.

FISHERMAN'S BISQUE
1 pkg   (6 ounces) frozen king crab
1 can condensed cheddar cheese soup
1 1/2 cup lt. cream or half n' half
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp chopped or dried parsley
Remove crab from box and keep in wrapper, running hot water to thaw enough to separate. Cut into small pieces and set aside. Heat soup and cream to just below boiling point. Add crab and simmer only until it is heated through. Stir in paprika and sprinkle with parsley. Serves 4

No comments:

Post a Comment