Monday, January 27, 2014

VISIT

On Saturday we got a surprise (but most welcomed) visit from Jackie and Ricky Hewett. They are the Parents of Laura's best friend, Kate. They recently left this area to move to Sun City near Savannah. Ricky had transferred to Savannah with his job and they also love being nearer to Kate who is a doctor in Charleston. We discussed a variety of subjects. Our Husbands' found that Jackie and I have a lot in common, particularly our penchant from going from topic to topic midstream of another subject. I think this makes us very intelligent because our brains are working faster than our mouths. If any of you readers suffer from this same affliction consider yourself on the bright side. At least, that's what I am thinking. It's much better than being called "scattered brain". Anyway, Jackie suggested mediation to calm any anxiety I have concerning medical problems and I think that is a marvelous idea. Only, of course if I could clear my brain of thoughts; considering how active it is. I intend to research a book and will definitely try it. Also they are going to email Leland some exercises for his back. It was a wonderful visit and we learned so much. But, it went by much too fast. Y'all come back real soon!

Saturday Greg and I spent a lovely day galavanting. He drove me around to do errands and we had lunch. He has volunteered to take me antiquing in a couple of weeks. It was neat being together. Thanks Greg!

This morning I got a phone call from my dear friend, Sue Maddock. She predicted the outcome of the MRI. She always checks up on me and we bring one-another up-to-date. We have been friends for fifty years and fortunately when we saw one another last year just prior to my surgery - we recognized one another! In fact, she, Jim, Viv and Ed hadn't changed at all! I hate to bore you but I must include, June MaLach, Mary Rutherford, Viv Cord, Diana James, Joy Miller and Carol Light, as constant and supportive friends even though they live a distance away. My Sister, Carole-Anne and Cousin, Joan have also been there for me. And, you all know about this wonderful community of friends we have here. There optimistic outlook has gotten me through so much. Thank you dear, dear friends!

Life has taken a turn for the better! I decided that I have to take a chance and stop eating ice cream, etc. and get back to healthy eating. I carry the glue in my purse just in case! i started yesterday. So far, so good! I have indeed put on weight! The other day, I put on a pair of jeans and struggled to zip them up and button the top. But, I accomplished it and went on my merry way. Later that evening I took them off and put them on the bathtub rim. Leland picked them up and said " they were HIS jeans". "No they are not! - they are mine!" We checked the label and they were HIS jeans. He asked me if I wanted them?! I replied "No I do not want your size 38 x 32 jeans!! He tried to make me feel better by saying they were tight on him. I never want to see them AGAIN! I have now gotten several wake-up calls! The neurologist scale is totally out of whack! I surely can't weigh that! So, we shall see how much willpower I can evoke and get this weight off.

This recipe was included in "A TOUCH OF FIRST CLASS" (Pan Am recipes and nostalgia) and submitted by Joy Miller. We met Joy and Barry while living in Berlin and now we all live in Georgia.

ESCARGOT ALA BARRY ENJOYS
1 (7- 1/2) oz can snails
1 shallot
3 cloves garlic
1 cup parsley
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
crusty bread

In a food processor mince  shallots, garlic and parsley. Add butter and blend. Skewer three snails per stick. Place in cooking pan with butter mixture over each skewer. While it cooks, butter will melt, snails will be immersed. Cook on grill approximately ten minutes or one drink later until very hot and bubbly. Serve with crusty bread rounds.

Thank you so very much for the lovely cookbook, Joy. I will cherish it!

2 comments:

  1. So glad yall had fun! I hope to be able to visit soon! Love you both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had such a lovely visit! Hope to see you soon. Tell your Mom thanks for the links. Love you too!

      Delete