Saturday, March 15, 2014

A YEAR!

A year ago today I had brain surgery and the majority of an aggressive tumor removed. I can't tell you how thankful I am for the past year. I don't know what the future holds for me, I do know that I am not the same woman I was two years ago. I walk and wobble somewhat, I tire easily, I cry more frequently and my life has turned topsy turvy with the not knowing what the future holds in store for me. I think that is a very typical reaction for anyone who is suffering from an illness. I thank God for the past year and I pray for more time to spend with family and friends.

On the bright side, I celebrated today by going to see "NON STOP" (I think it might be some time before I step foot on an airplane!) with some friends and then out to coffee with my wonderful Husband.  I took a walk and am finding that my energy is slowly returning. That doesn't mean I am ready to conquer Mt Everest! Maybe my body is adjusting to the new pills. It's a day to be thankful for the treatment I received and for Dr. Olson (the surgeon) and for  Dr. Crocker (the radiologist) at Emory Hospital.

We went out to dinner with some of our friends the other night and all we did was laugh! Don M. told a tale from his adventure as a wheelchair volunteer at the local hospital. He delivers patients following their out patient surgery  to the curb in the wheelchair where they are met by a family or friend. I am still laughing over his latest tale. Apparently, the elderly wife was gone for quite some time unable to remember where she parked their car. It turns out that the patient is a new member of our community. Don also delivers "meals on wheels" every week. What a kind and decent man he is. But mostly he is funny!

Remember when we thought 50 was ancient! Well it isn't any longer! Leland and I are on the older side in our 55 and older community at 78 and 74 respectively. Weren't we in our twenties the day before yesterday? I find looking in the mirror quite an experience. I hardly recognize myself and what in the world happened to that shapely figure I used to have? Most of it has headed south and is hidden beneath  - alright I'll come out with it - FAT! It is shocking this aging process! Often I will go into a room to get a specific item only to arrive there to realize I have forgotten what I wanted. I know people call these senior moments.  So, I retrace my thought process and go back to my starting position. At least I am getting a bit of exercise.

I have decided that all the age defying creams, oils, lotions are such are a total waste of good money. I think it is all in the genes. I used to spend a bundle on eye depuffing creams until I finally and wisely realized I got the puffiness from my Mom.  Wrinkles are earned and really aren't they a product of smiling a lot?  People who over botox, have face lifts, etc are trying to stay younger longer. I think that's great but don't over do it. Joan Rivers and Bruce Jenner are you reading this? And, Meg Ryan you USED to be so adorable. I want to age elegantly and hope that people still recognize me when I am elderly if only by my smile!

Folks, you have been such troopers going through the past year with me and this medical saga. Thanks for everything and for the joy you have brought into my life. You have been my life raft in the rough seas of the past year. Believe me your prayers have saved me thus far. Please keep them up. It's also amazing how little things have brought me joy, a good book, a good joke, a good TV program or a  movie. I am comfy in my home with Leland and love seeing family and friends. I really don't need anything but I do want to heal. That is entirely out of my hands, I am in God's hands.  I just want to keep on smiling!

HAM AND CHEESE CRESCENTS
1 8oz pkg crescent rolls
8 slices good quality boiled ham
8 teaspoons orange marmalade
1/2 cup grated monterey jack cheese
Separate rolls into 8 triangles, according to pkg directions. Place one slice ham on each triangle folding to fit. Spread with marmalade and sprinkle with cheese. Roll triangles according to pkg directions. Place on ungreased cookie heet. Bake at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes. I suppose you could replace cheese with one you might like better.

Reading Stuart Woods book called "Standup Guy". Wouldn't rate it a four star, more of a 2 1/2 unless you are an avid fan of the author.

Have a terrific weekend. Love, Arlene





No comments:

Post a Comment