Monday, April 7, 2014

THE LAKE

I meandered through the pine forest breathing in the fresh scent and enjoying the warm sun shining from above.  I could hear the rustling of small creatures seeking substance. I was dressed in a lightweight floral dress that seemed to belong to a different time. Eventually I came to a crystal clear lake. It sparkled from the reflected sun and I just knew that the fish were darting back and forth beneath its surface. As I got nearer I heard the sound of laughter and joy that comes from people who are having a wonderful day. They sat in Adirondack chairs and seemed amused to see a stranger. They were my family from my youth. I recognized one and all. I went over to Aunt Vivian and Uncle Jack to say hello. They hadn't changed a bit since the last time that I had seen them but I could see the confusion in their faces when I said, "hi, it's me, Arlene." Oh, of course, I can see that it is you Dear but you are old now!  And one by one I approached my relatives to say hello  and told them how much I missed them and related the fond memories I had of our times together.  At each approach, my step got lighter, my hair darkened and my wrinkles disappeared.   My heart was filled with joy at each encounter. I saw Aunt Gertrude who had passed away the day after my family and I had visited her at the hospital, from a brain tumor. I told her,  that I too, had a brain tumor. She placed her hand on my head and said, "you will be just fine, Dearie". Uncle Alfred, was sitting next to Daddy talking about fishing until I interrupted their conversation. "Well, look who is here, Daddy said,  my Sweetie Pie. "Hi Daddy, I miss you  and Mommy so much. "We are just fine, living in a gated community surrounded by friends and family, Now go and say hello to your Mother, she is over there with Grandma and Grandpa. They will be so happy to see you." Now there you are my darling Daughter, we know all about your life, your trials and tribulations, your accomplishments and your joys and sorrows. All of us have watched over you with pride in how you have conducted your life." You and your Sister have made us proud! As usual, Aunt Edith said"I had put on a bit of weight" Her usual comment to me. We had such a delightful day sharing tales of the past.  But,  slowly the sun began to fade and just as slowly my family, one by one faded away. I reversed my steps and with a smile on my again aging face I found my way back home, holding deep in my heart the memories of the wonderful conversations I had with my beloved family. I feel so strongly that they are helping to guide me through life and when this life is over as I know it, they will be waiting for me with open arms. Isn't it wonderful that there is always something to look forward to!?  But first there is that Viking River cruise, dinners out with friends, bridge games, visits to Charlotte, etc. and a dinner party at which I will serve this easy casserole recipe.

 1-2-3 CASSEROLE
In a dutch oven in order given:
3 lbs. lean beef, cubed
2 cans golden mushroom soup, undiluted
1 envelope dry onion soup
Cook at 325 degrees in oven for 1-2 hours
Serve over rice or noodles. For company stir in a small carton of sour cream.




No comments:

Post a Comment