Monday, March 10, 2014

SPRING

When I was in elementary, middle school and high school I never went on a spring break. I never knew they existed!. I knew that several of my friends would go to Florida with their families for beach  and family time. In winter some families would go to the ski slopes. We never had the luxury of European trips, skiing or beach travel.  That all came later when Leland came back into my life and it was all appreciated and I savored every minute of it. The lack of these teenage adventures never bothered me because my friends and I were always enjoying ourselves, particularly our train trips into New York City. It was a magical place, so culturally diverse and architecturally beautiful.We didn't text one another walking side by side we actually talked to one another. We played soft ball, badminton, walked in the stream  across the street from our house, catching and releasing baby frogs,  traveled by bus into our little city of Mt. Vernon to window shop. went to the orchards to pick pears some of which we consumed right there.  Our exercise was WALKING! There were no treadmills and other pain inducing machines in the 40's or early 50's. We climbed trees and did cart wheels in the fields. We watched the flowers bloom and heard the robins sing as spring began. We helped plant the seeds in the vegetable garden and were thrilled to see the beginnings of a carrot, a head of lettuce, etc. When summer arrived and report cards announced that we would advance to a higher grade we made our way to the beach and often played volley ball there. And, we flirted with the cute life guards (Leland was one of the cute ones!) Remember this was the time of innocence and sports activity.

At fifteen I worked at the local stationary store after school and on Saturdays, saving my salary for that little Henry J I eventually bought because I needed transportation from the "middle of nowhere". Actually Purchase was a little piece of Heaven for Carole-Anne and I. My sweet sixteen party was held in our front yard and we all had a ball! My engagement party was held there as well as my baby shower for Greg. Oh, the stories that yard could tell!

I had a curfew when I lived there and when my date and I were "saying" goodnight the front porch light would come on. Either Dad or Mom had being eyeing the clock. If I was somewhere with several of my friends and having the "best" time I would call home and ask for a bit more time. My Parents always said yes because they knew I was a responsible young lady. Many parties took place in that front yard with family and friends. Lots of food, much of which was newly plucked from Daddy's luscious garden. Everyone was welcomed and laughter was a main ingredient in the conversations.

I know that you all know by now that I had a wonderful childhood thanks to two giving, unselfish and loving Parents. In a way, as much as I miss them, and I miss them terribly I would not want them to have been privy to my health issue. It would have broken their hearts and I would not wish that on them.  I  watch our dear friends, Bev and Barry  endure the struggles their adorable Grandson, Ari goes through and how very helpful they are to their Daughter, Jodi and Son-in-Law, Larry and lovely Granddaughter Liv. Not a night goes by that I do not pray for all of them.

To me spring is a renewal. Last spring was a particularly rough one but folks, I am here and will be listening for the birds to sing  and watch for the budding of the flowers. My Sister was here last March for my surgery along with Greg, Laura and Joe. Happily, we will be all together again. C.A. will arrive on the 26th and Laura and Joe on the 28th of March. Quite fittingly. March 28th was our Mom's birthday. This will be a happier occasion, thankfully. Incidentally, Greg told me Saturday that he was the first one to see me after my surgery on Friday, March 15th 2013.  I am not "out of the woods" yet, so please continue to keep me in your prayers. Ann and John O, thank you so much for you beautiful card. June, I will call you REAL soon.

Don't y'all find that one day will be just wonderful, nothing goes wrong and then boom a little stress enters the mix a day or so later?  I am learning to cope with the stress (a very slow process) and am trying to focus on the good things in life and that folks are FRIENDS AND FAMILY. I can't say it enough because I mean it so sincerely - I LOVE YOU ALL!

I am reading and enjoying "THE KING'S DECEPTION" by STEVE BERRY

GIGOT OF MONKFISH ROMARIN WITH ANCHOVIES

2 1/2 lb monkfish (poor mans' lobster)
2 oz can anchovy fillets
6 tablespoons olive oil
juice of one lemon
s & p
a large bunch of fresh rosemary

TOMATO VINAIGRETTE

2/3 cup olive oil
4 teaspoons wine vinegar
2 tablespoons minced tomatoes

Using a sharp knife make slits in fish and insert anchovy fillet Marinate fish in oil and lemon juice, Season with s & p. Marinate for at least two hours. Lay the fish on a large bed of rosemary in a baking pan. Pour more oil over fish. Roast in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. To make the vinaigrette, heat the ingredients in a small pan and season to taste. Transfer fish to a serving dish and pour warm vinaigrette over.

I found this recipe in one of my handwritten journals so I don't know where I originally found it but I noted "delicious". I hope you like it!





No comments:

Post a Comment