Wednesday, September 25, 2013

REMEMBERING

In 1944 I was five years old. I was standing on line with my mother who was clasping my hand. We were on line at the Borden's milk distribution center to receive our allotment of milk. It was during World War II and my parents' also had rationing coupons. I collected the foil from gum wrappers and made balls from them for donation. The 40's and 50's were the eras in which I grew up. It was a time of innocence and a time free of cell phones, TV's and computers. I spent my free time listening to the radio and reading Nancy Drew. I was involved in dancing, swimming at the Y, church, the brownies and playing outside with my friends. In the winter time we would sled down the embankment, ice skate on the frozen pond and go Christmas caroling during the holidays. In the summer we went to the local swimming pool when we weren't summering in the Catskills.  Being with family was ever so important. 

We have come a long way electronically and in every other way. Parenting has evolved to the point where I sometimes wish we could go backwards in time. I never talked back to my parents, I obeyed them. They were supportive but they never overwhelmed my sister and I with advice and their expectations. They allowed us to make our own decisions, our own mistakes without retribution from them. But, we always felt protected and loved. They were the best role models we could have asked for. Thank you mom and dad. Carole-Anne and I have made wonderful lives for ourselves, have loving husbands and loving children. My sister is a successful artist living in New Hampshire and I am trying my very best to be a good human being. 



Recipe of the Day: 

To make Frozen Peanut Butter Pie you will need a 9" graham cracker crust, 4 ounce Philadelphia cream cheese softened, 1/3 cup smooth peanut butter, 1 cup powdered sugar, 1/2 cup milk. Blend the above ingredients. add a small cool whip and mix well. Pour into the crust and freeze. Remove from freezer 35 minutes before serving. I serve with chocolate fudge sauce. Optional: sprinkle chopped peanuts on top. The recipe is easy to make and quite good!  

What to Read: 

Anything written by Vince Flynn (he left this earth much too early).                                                    

No comments:

Post a Comment