Monday, September 23, 2013

ENGLISH BREAKFAST

My Grandfather:

Gerald Claridge Wood, Sr.  was the eldest of thirteen children born in Huddersfield, England. He met his wife, my grandmother, Sarah Frances Vivien, a lace designer on a ship heading to the USA. Long story short, they married and had five children. My dad, Gerald Claridge Wood, Jr was the baby of the family along with his twin sister, Edith.  I have always had an affinity for all things English because of my heritage. Roast beef with Yorkshire pudding, lamb etc. were traditional meals at my grandparents. And, my mother carried on the traditions. I can remember her famous lamb curry made with leftover lamb. Simply, delicious.

Our trips to England have been among my fondest memories. Years ago we had the privilege of meeting three of my father's cousins and sharing tea with them. at one of their homes.  We lived with my grandparents for several years and I can remember him vividly. He was always properly dressed complete with a tie and he spoke with an eloquent English accent.  I also remember the day when I was fifteen and the ambulance passed me by as I was walking home. Sadly, I never saw him again. I missed him terribly because I would spend hours with him in his little den in the basement. He was my buddy.  My sister and I were his precious granddaughters.

To this day I carry forth with my English ways, collecting Royal Doulton figurines, and loving the allure of all my English decorating books and magazines, reading them over and over again. I am proud of my ancestry and as a result I often serve to guests the following recipe learned from my grandmother. I hope you take the time to make it as it is truly worth the effort. It is a wonderful breakfast, and a great delicious dish when having company.

Recipe:
                                                                
Mix together the batter for the Yorkshire pudding: 3 cups of flour (NOT SELF RISING), 1/2 t baking powder, 1 t salt, 3 cups of milk and 4 eggs.  In a lightly greased lasagna sized pan layer the bottom of the pan with  2 packages of Jones Link Sausages. Pour batter on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes until puffed and lightly browned. Serve with warm maple syrup.  Do not double the recipe.      

Reading:

Books by Susan Hill, featuring Chief Superintendent Simon Serrailler. Yes, an English Breakfast and an English Mystery are a wonderful way to start your day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment