Saturday, December 13, 2014

A VERY HAPPY ENDING

My first child was due October 26th and his Father, Bill and I were thrilled about the impending arrival.   In the meantime, My ankles swelled  along with the rest of my body. I mentioned this to my doctor the head of obstetrics and gynecology at the White Plains Hospital in New York. He pooh poohed it all and the result was that on October 29, 1963 I delivered the placenta at home (placenta previa) and went into shock (it turned out that I had toxemia}. Bill drove me to the hospital and upon our arrival the nurses administered to me. My Parents arrived (Bill's Parent were living in Tehran,  Iran) to give us moral support. A while later Dr. Montgomery arrived, dressed in a tuxedo and after an exam said to  Bill and I directly quote "I see no reason to cut her open to haul out a dead baby". Maybe he had one cocktail too many since he left the room to sleep until it was delivery time. So I went into labour, knowing something was dreadfully wrong but not aware of what. Gregory William Hankinson was born, they rushed him to an incubator and worked on him. A dear friend of mine, Gloria Donati (Hart) came to visit me at the hospital and just burst into tears. Her presence met the world to me.

It was a wait and see game. I was very weak, frightened and so worried about my precious child. Bill and I had to leave him at the hospital and that was a moment in time I will never forget. We got a prognosis that he would be a "vegetable (from lack of oxegen) and when we finally took him home that was all we could think about as we fed and cuddled our little one. For some reason they could not get a heart beat and when he was born everyone was astonished when he was revived. Can you imagine how we watched over him? At my six week visit to Dr. Montgomery he said (and again I quote verbatim) "Well wasn't that the dammest thing". I  learned later that I had high blood pressure which he apparently never picked up on. After five years we were told he would probably have learning difficulties. But our Gregory thrived and except for two eye operations for crossed eyes he flourished. He is my hero. God stepped in and decided he had future plans for our special gift. Gregory has turned out to be  the best Son anyone could ask for. He is a college graduate and a bright and kind man. He had a Father who adored him (Bill passed away at the young age of 56 and now Leland has his first Son and loves him as his own.]

Bill and I were in our early twenties and at that time, so grateful to have Gregory that it never occurred to us that we had a case for a law suit. But then again, we were so grateful to have our baby that it truly didn't seem to matter. And, he was a joy to raise. He met each goal that was expected of him at all age levels. How very wrong the doctors' prognosis was, thankfully. He's 6'2" and not only does he make us proud but he makes us laugh and is ALWAYS here for us. He also knows how to talk his Mom out of the blues.

Then, in 1984 Greg was gifted with his little Sister, Laura.  I am so very proud of my children and they have been such staunch supporters for me and their Dad through my illness.

Years before we moved to Berlin, Leland, Greg, Laura and I  visited Chuck and Diana James in Berlin never realizing that we would one day move there. We also took Greg, Andrea and Laura to Paris and Norway. What fun!

Gregory, Mom loves you with all her heart, thank you for all you do and remember Dad and I are always on your side.

I just finished reading "THE CINDERELLA MURDER by MARY HIGGINS CLARK" WOW!

CRAB SPREAD (another recipe from the Pan Am cookbook)

16 oz cream cheese at room temp
1 T Worcesteshire sauce
1 1/2 t lemon juice
3 T mayo
1T dried chives
Mix above ingredients and spread in pie size dish. Refrigerate over night.Spread 1/2 of 12 oz bottle of Heinz chilli sauce over top Refrigerate for a short time until sauce is firmish. Sprinkle 12 oz can of drained crab over chilli sauce. decorate with fresh parsley. Refigerate at least an hour before serving. Serve with crackers. Garnish with lemon slices

No comments:

Post a Comment